Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Retin-A users.........

@winamac1@Nadine

Our Derm has rx'd RetinA for both wrinkle-prevention AND spot treatment.

DH gel .10% (strong) and a keratosis under eye for me. 

Renova .025% for cosmetic purposes for me. It works... Builds collagen, etc

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

My first journey into Retinol was with Dr. Gross and his Retinol w/seurilic acid. It is gentle enough for sensitive skin and with good results. He recommends using it daily, but I use it about three nights a week. It helps significantly with smaller pores, evening skin color, diminishes fine lines and wrinkles. I've been using this about two years and have had no problems or need to go to Retin A. 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@winamac1@Nadine

Our Derm has rx'd RetinA for both wrinkle-prevention AND spot treatment.

DH gel .10% (strong) and a keratosis under eye for me. 

Renova .025% for cosmetic purposes for me. It works... Builds collagen, etc

My derm has never rx'd retin a for spot treatment. 

The package insert doesn't suggest that.  It says to apply a thin layer over the whole area.    If it works, then that's all that matters.  It's not really rx'd commonly for spot treatment.  I used to be friends with the Retin A rep from Ortho years ago.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also worth noting: Retin-A is NOT a spot treatment. If you're acne-prone, you might be tempted to put a big glop of the stuff on a breakout, but it could burn your skin and make it look even worse. Just spread it all over in a thin layer and let the meds work their magic.

The above is from this:

http://beautyeditor.ca/2013/02/06/how-to-use-retin-a-and-not-turn-your-face-into-a-red-flaky-peely-m...

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/808015-can-you-use-retin-micro-spot-treatments.html

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/270383-is-retin-a-good-as-a-spot-treatment/

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

My first journey into Retinol was with Dr. Gross and his Retinol w/seurilic acid. It is gentle enough for sensitive skin and with good results. He recommends using it daily, but I use it about three nights a week. It helps significantly with smaller pores, evening skin color, diminishes fine lines and wrinkles. I've been using this about two years and have had no problems or need to go to Retin A. 

Retin A, IMO, is far superior to Retinol.  I do like PTR's Retinol though if I run out of Retin A.  His is awesome.

Trusted Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Retin A, IMO, is far superior to Retinol.  I do like PTR's Retinol though if I run out of Retin A.  His is awesome.

Although many have the opinion that tretinoin (Retin-a) is far superior to retinol, I've read that retinol is just as good as tretinoin for anti-aging, it is less irritating but takes longer to show results.  Lack of skin irritation is the key to using either product and not everyone can use tretinoin or retinol due to irritation. 

I am one of those people that tried and tried to use Retin-a at 0.025% for months and just had too much irritation.  I was sick and tired of having irritated, peeling skin and decided it just wasn't good for my skin to be so irritated for so long.  So, I'm now using a 2% retinol lotion from ASDM Beverly Hills four times a week and experience no irritation at all.  Go figure.  A 2% retinol is supposedly equivalent to 0.1% tretinoin (tretinoin being 20 times more potent that retinol). 

Retinol products have become better and better and I don't feel that tretinoin is the be-all and end-all of anti-aging products, it's just one in the arsenal if it's compatible with your skin.  I think every doctor will tell you to use the lowest concentration of tretinoin or retinol that doesn't irritate your skin as both products are used for the long haul for anti-aging and the last thing you want to do is cause excessive skin irritation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699641/ 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@River Song wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Although many have the opinion that tretinoin (Retin-a) is far superior to retinol, I've read that retinol is just as good as tretinoin for anti-aging, it is less irritating but takes longer to show results.  Lack of skin irritation is the key to using either product and not everyone can use tretinoin or retinol due to irritation. 

I am one of those people that tried and tried to use Retin-a at 0.025% for months and just had too much irritation.  I was sick and tired of having irritated, peeling skin and decided it just wasn't good for my skin to be so irritated for so long.  So, I'm now using a 2% retinol lotion from ASDM Beverly Hills four times a week and experience no irritation at all.  Go figure.  A 2% retinol is supposedly equivalent to 0.1% tretinoin (tretinoin being 20 times more potent that retinol). 

Retinol products have become better and better and I don't feel that tretinoin is the be-all and end-all of anti-aging products, it's just one in the arsenal if it's compatible with your skin.  I think every doctor will tell you to use the lowest concentration of tretinoin or retinol that doesn't irritate your skin as both products are used for the long haul for anti-aging and the last thing you want to do is cause excessive skin irritation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699641/ 

@River Song  It's not just a random, personal opinion that says RetinA is superior to Retinol, it's the science that explains it and how it is used by the skin.  The skin receives both as Retinoic Acid. RetinA/Tretinoin is ALREADY Retinoic Acid and goes to work immediately whereas Retinol has to go through two metobolic conversion steps to become active Retinoic Acid in order to be received by the skin.  With each of those steps there is a weakening of the ingredient.  If Retinol appears toward the end of an ingredient deck it's essentially worthless and not really doing anything because it's already a weaker form of Vitamin A to begin with, weaking more with each conversion step, and then on top of that there's less of it in the overall composition of the product.  In order for any Retinol product to have a chance, it has to be the highest percentage possible and it has to be at the beginning of the ingredient list so that there is a useable amount of Retinoic Acid finally making its way down to the sublayers of the skin.  And even then, as you stated, it's going to take longer for the Retinol to work than prescription RetinA/Tretinoin.  Also Retinol should not be confused with Retinyl Palmitate, which is even weaker than Retinol.  If I were not using RetinA, I'd be using Retinyl Retinoate as my non-prescription option.  I'm posting a link to an article rather than me trying to explain it all.  This ingredient is in Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum.  

Retinyl Retinoate  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with all of JeanLouiseFinch's comments. Also, it's interesting to note that many—me included—who have had irritation from OTC retinol products, have great succes with pure retin-A!  My derm explained that OTC retinol products have so many other ingredients in them that irritation is quite common.  But with prescription treitinoin cream, one is only getting the active retin-A ingredient mixed in a base that is very simple and non-irritating to most. Yet another example of how no one product on the planet is the best choice for every human! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

If irratation is a problem, there are some topicals that might help.  Topix replenix cf (caffeine and green tea), and products with niacinimide helped me tolerate retin a .10%.  I use the niacinimide in the am and use the replenix in the evening, after cleaning my face.  I wait a good 15 min after applying replenix before using retin a.

Contributor

Is there any sites that you can order retin A without a script?  TIA