Honored Contributor

Question about Sephora Foundation Samples

I'm talking about the samples that come on a card with all the shades, not the samples you can ask for in-store for a particular shade.  Is there enough there of one shade to do an entire face or just enough to swatch?  I got the Ilia serum tint one as a free sample with my last purchase.  Seems almost all they had to choose from were foundations.  So, I'd just like to know what to expect before opening one.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Sephora Foundation Samples

@Icegoddess 

Yes there is enough for your entire face.

Honored Contributor

I'm getting pretty put out with the free samples from Sephora. There used to be a good selection of different beauty items to choose from.  Now it's just mostly foundations. I'm collecting them again to take to the assisted living facility that my parents are in. I had a huge amount to take a couple of months ago.  The staff and residents loved it!

Honored Contributor

Thanks.  Yes, I was surprised at how many foundation samples were offered.  Last time, there was only the one, the Armani, which was labeled as a concealer.  Had I known at the time that it was the foundation and it had all the shades on a card I would've gotten that.  

I never get the samples in-store as they're never anything I'm interested in.  Sure love me some minis though.  Wish we could get one of those instead.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm   I may have already said that Sephora samples are usually useless to me. The foundations are never the correct shade, skincare can't be "anything" with a squeeze enveope for maybe 2 days...how do you know you'll purchase and use it?

I'm preferring ULTA and collect my points for a next purchase.

***I'm thinking Sephora may be phasing out samples and b'day gifts. The other day, a woman in front of me was complaining about the lack of variety and refused her b'day gift. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the woman didn't want any of the birthday gifts, she could have added the extra points to her account instead. That's what I would do if none of the gifts appealed to me.

I don't wear foundation, so no samples of that would interest me.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess I got that sample card of Ilia Serum Tint. I must have a big face. I used 4 or 5 of the samples to cover my face.

I wasn't going out but the serum is sheer enough that it didn't really matter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So, I first tried the darkest tint on my hand just to see how much there was.  I'm very light, so it looked awful as I spread it out, but after it dried, I did kinda like the sheen it had and it wasn't as dark.

I used the lightest shade on the card on my face.  I did manage to get my whole face, but it was so spread out that I couldn't really tell if I had it on.  I went to eat breakfast and when I came back, I was like "wow, I can tell I have it on."  It seems to be a pretty good match too, at least spread out like that.  I'm going ti try the next darker shade which looks to be less yellow (even though the shade I used claims to be a warm and the next shade claims to be warm olive undertones) just swatched on my face.  It felt kinda thick for a serum, but seemed to spread well although I needed to do it quickly because there was so little product.  My opinion is that it's very skin-like, but makes my skin look better.  At this point I'm not hating it.  I would need to be able to try a more generous sample though to decide if I loved it or not. 

The card does not have the full complement of shades.  It starts with ST2 Very Light w/Warm Undertones.  There are 2 shades lighter available, Extra Light with Neutral (ST0.5) and Extra Light with Warm (ST1) that aren't on the card.  It does have the darkest shade Extra Deep with Neutral (ST19 on the card.  There are 15 shades on the card, but 30 shades available.  

ETA:  According to Sephora's shade matching algorithm, ST3 would be my match which, of course is not on the card.  Also, it's rather pricey for a skin tint at $48/oz, but it touts that it is skincare+tint, not just a tint.