Honored Contributor

Re: Question Re: Retin A

[ Edited ]

Retin-a does not thin the skin. That goes against the very nature of the substance...it makes the skin thicker by promoting collagen production and inhibits an enzyme (collagenases) in the skin that metabolizes collagen as we age. 

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

Just purchased some Retin A from China on eBay. It was not authentic...did nothing to my face. I used it a week, and there was none of the usual pinkness that I usually would get. I had the .05% strength. I see eBay pulled it and said I did not have to complete the transaction. I already had, so I'm requesting a refund.

Just wondering where you purchase your Retin A from without Rx. I know some of you use All Day Chemist. It looks like All Day Chemist now requires an Rx for Retin A. I tried to order it, and they asked me to fax my prescription. Also, it looks like the same tube of Retin A that I purchased from China. Is All Day Chemist's brand authentic? Any other places where it can be purchased? 

Thanks so much!

I always get an RX from my derm. My insurance covers prescriptions and I don't take a chance ordering any meds (or skincare) unless I know the website is proven OK and not from another country. Many times they either add other ingredients or may be past the use by date, but date changed. Not worth the $ saved to irritate your skin.

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie,Best luck to you.  Go safely.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Retin-a does not thin the skin. That goes against the very nature of the substance...it makes the skin thicker by promoting collagen production and inhibits an enzyme (collagenases) in the skin that metabolizes collagen as we age. 

@SilleeMee ... Hmmm...Isn't that interesting? I guess it is just another one of those things that are a matter of opinion...or maybe is just extremely technical. My derm told me that it thins the skin. He did tell me that I have very young skin for my age (because it is very oily...as well as genetics). Here is what I found on another board:

"I have read numerous testimonials both on this and other forums from long term users who are very satisfied and told this cream has taken years off their face. BUT some users have experienced thinner, more fragile skin from the use of Retin-A. The cream works by increasing cell turnover and thinning the few top layers of the skin. Collagen production increases and thickens the inner layers of the skin. I have been wondering how a proven collagen builder can cause thin and fragile skin in some women's skin."

And from an aesthetician:

"Does it thin out the skin? Yes.

Does it make the skin appear more crepey and wrinkled?
No, not if you’re using it correctly for your skin type. In fact, it will actually thicken the skin by promoting active collagen production.

Can it make the skin more sensitive and reactive? Yes.

Are there some types of skin that shouldn’t use it at all? Yes.

You SHOULD NOT use retinol if:

• you spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun and like to get a tan.
  • you don’t protect your skin with a generous application of sunscreen daily.
  • you are not going to commit to using it regularly.....

A thin skin has the following characteristics:

• fair in color (think Irish, Swedish, Scottish and Scandinavian descent)
  • small or invisible pores
  • produces little to no oil
  • a transparent look where you can visibly see blue blood vessels underneath the skin’s surface. (Red, dilated capillaries can be seen in all types of skin, not just thin ones)
  • sensitivity where the skin can get easily uncomfortable and irritated with a stinging sensation from products or when itchy fabrics touch the skin. (This is due to the nerve endings being closer to the surface).

If you have these characteristics, it doesn’t mean you can’t use it, it just means you need to use it less often than most people. This type of skin has less surface protection and is prone to having a  fragile moisture barrier, so it is more easily damaged from the sun and environment and to aggressive (but beneficial) ingredients like retinol, retinoids and exfoliating acids. If you use these products too often and don’t balance it with soothing hydrators and barrier-repair ingredients, you will run into problems."

Who knows? Sounds like the results may differ from person to person just like with any medication.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Yardlie, that was very informative. I think of it like this...if you remove too much of the outermost layers of the skin, as Retin-A does, the skin will eventually become thinner because the underlying skin layers have not "grown up" fast enough to catch up and replace the layers being lost to retinoid exfoliation. In this case you simply have to use Retin-A less frequently, keeping somewhat of a balance between skin layers lost and gained. This delicate balance is different for everyone and that's why the different strengths of Retin-A  and how often it should be applied. I could never use it every night. My skin could not tolerate it that often. Every other night is pushing it for me and sometimes I have to back off for a few days to give my skin a rest.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMeeBefore they became password or paid log in, I read many of the Retin A/treinoin studies. I've got a few saved somewhere. Yes, it does in part, exfoliate. The thing is tretinoin builds collagen.  It truly prevents aging.  RA and SPF are life changing products.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Question Re: Retin A

[ Edited ]

I would trust peer reviewed medical studies over any blog any day.  Not trying to argue over RA.  Mountains of research have proven it works with little to no negative effects.  SPF daily is crucial, too.  

Talk to your dermatologist, one who does not sell their own products.

Honored Contributor

My insurance paid for Retin A until this  year.  Costco sells the large tube of .25% Tretinoin for $75ish.

Walgreens wants $225.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

For those who might be wondering what happens if you stop using Retin A, I had been using it regularly for almost 10 years and nightly at .1%. I had to stop using it due to health problems (one being I was given a chronic, toxic level of Vitamin A from my naturopath and developing severe dry eye). It's been well over 7 months since I stopped completely as well as any skincare containing retinol and I have noticed absolutaly no difference in my skin. I guess I thought it would fall apart or something. LOL

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

For those who might be wondering what happens if you stop using Retin A, I had been using it regularly for almost 10 years and nightly at .1%. I had to stop using it due to health problems (one being I was given a chronic, toxic level of Vitamin A from my naturopath and developing severe dry eye). It's been well over 7 months since I stopped completely as well as any skincare containing retinol and I have noticed absolutaly no difference in my skin. I guess I thought it would fall apart or something. LOL

@morganjen

But that is at such a high level. Were you prescribed that to begin with?

From my understanding, retin A should only be used on a temporary basis, as it was developed, (again as I understand it) for acne.

What skincare are you using now @morganjen?