Contributor

Re: Puzzled By The 2nd and 4th Ingredients In VTS-- SD Alcohol and Witch Hazel!!!

On 3/1/2015 Crisso said:
On 3/1/2015 Feldspar said:
On 3/1/2015 Crisso said:
On 3/1/2015 HonnyBrown said:

HD, the chemical reactions don't take place in the bottles. They occur at the manufacturing plants. After the quality control process, the product is siphoned into the bottles and shipped for sale.

I think the FDA labeling requirements are such that they must reflect what is in the bottle, not what may or may not have happened prior to being sold....

HAMAMELIS VIRGINIANA WATER is classified as SOOTHING SKIN CONDITIONING HAIR CONDITIONING ASTRINGENT /http://cosmetics.specialchem.com/inci/hamamelis-virginiana-water

Alcohol evaporates quickly so it "activates" hold in hair. It stops the product from dripping off your hair, essentially.

Generally reputable companies require stringent testing done on their cosmetics before they can be sold. There are labs that exists specifically for cosmetics testing. (Do a search on cosmetics testing labs).

Dr. Leslie Baumann writes: Reputable manufacturers expend a great deal of time and money in formula development and testing. Analytical and preservative efficacy testing is used to guide formulators during the development of formulas. Testing is done on lab batches, pilot plant batches, scale-up batches, and full production batches. These tests are also performed to assess the concentration of active ingredients, integrity of formulas, and efficacy of preservatives throughout stability studies.

Hi Feldspar (a gem lover?). I am not sure why you wrote this in response to my post. I was referring only to the fact that a label does not reflect the ingredients before the product was bottled, but by FDA requirements it must reflect what is actually in the bottle that is being sold. If you scroll up a few posts, you will see that what started this regarding labeling is HoneyBrown's original post which I will copy here:

"Lindy, the ingredients on the label aren't what's in the bottle. The ingredients are before the chemical reactions. After, you have the desired properties of the ingredients".

So sorry for the misunderstanding - I was trying to support your point, not counter it. Smile