Respected Contributor

Was watching "Tuesday Night Beauty" last night.  I seldom watch QVC before 11pm, so I haven't seen this show in ages.

I was surprised to see Shawn's hair hanging in her face.  I don't care for the striped look, but have thought the style was cute.  But not hanging in the face.

I was really surprised to hear her describe a philosophy shower gel as "dec a tent."  Huh? 

I guess I consider hosts on television as public speakers, and am really surprised when they say things like that. 

Hyacinth    Cat Surprised

Honored Contributor

I guess "speech"  (different from public speaking) is no longer taught in high  school.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I think her hair is always in her eyes.  It bothers me too, though I try not to watch her.

Honored Contributor

My hair is always in my eyes...........it's a cheap way to hide wrinkles...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

My hair is always in my eyes...........it's a cheap way to hide wrinkles...........

Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Since you don't watch that often, here's what you should know.

Shawn's hair always in her eye, always "HEAVY" highlights, always has a slang word for decription of a product and most of the times looks very Gothic.

Yes, needs to clean up her speech or whatever one would call hers.

Respected Contributor

Yes, yes, a 1000 times yes.  For people whose job it is to be on air and talking, I am sometimes amazed that they speak so poorly.  The wrong word, the wrong prononciation, the poor sentences -- things I would not blink an eye at if a 'regular' person did it, but the standards should be higher for a professional 'talker'.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Yes, yes, a 1000 times yes.  For people whose job it is to be on air and talking, I am sometimes amazed that they speak so poorly.  The wrong word, the wrong prononciation, the poor sentences -- things I would not blink an eye at if a 'regular' person did it, but the standards should be higher for a professional 'talker'.

@Peaches McPhee  Hmm, kinda like only English/Language Arts teachers need to know how to spell and not "regular" people?  BTW, it's pronunciation.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Was watching "Tuesday Night Beauty" last night.  I seldom watch QVC before 11pm, so I haven't seen this show in ages.

I was surprised to see Shawn's hair hanging in her face.  I don't care for the striped look, but have thought the style was cute.  But not hanging in the face.

I was really surprised to hear her describe a philosophy shower gel as "dec a tent."  Huh? 

I guess I consider hosts on television as public speakers, and am really surprised when they say things like that. 

Hyacinth    Cat Surprised

Not sure what you think falls into the category of "public speakers",  but I agree that it would be nice if Shawn had a better vocabulary and was more articulate.

Honored Contributor

My particular pet peeve with some of the hosts, but mostly SK, is the use of 'UM'.  The hosts should have to put a dollar in a box for charity every time they use the "word" "UM".