Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Usually protein shampoos/conditioners are recommended for hair that is breaking off or limp from processing. The protein molecules attach to the hair shaft where the cuticle part is damaged (a hole, pore or tear) and when it does this the protein molecules displace the moisture from the hair shaft resulting in dry hair. In other words, water and protein don't get along together on the hair shaft and the water will leave. @Nightowlz

HairShaft_sml.jpg

@SilleeMeeHelpful post also, thank you!

Respected Contributor

Redken extreme is protien packed and makes my hair fantastic. it is designed so that there is no protien buildup.  I really love the treatment that you leave in then wash out

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Ok I have read this on the forums before about protein & hair. I have no idea what you are talking about. I must use some since some shampoo dries out my hair. Can someone please explain hair & protein dilemma???

Which should I be using with a lot of hair breakage? How do you know which shampoo has a lot of protein?

I feel like a dummy. I need to do some research. LOL!!!

Protien fills up the holes and weak spots  in your damaged hair to make it smoother, stronger and healthy looking.  Most poos these days have some ort of protien in them and do not build up. I love Redken Extreme. I have not tried the new formula yet tho. it changed  the past year.  If your hair is damaged then a protien shampoo  works wonders. 

Respected Contributor

Biolage’s Conditioning Balm (not the Ultra) is a much loved moisture only (zero protein or silicone) conditioner. 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam   No particular shampoo but rather what protein does for your hair.  It's amazing that protein help repair hair & strengthen but dries it out.  I surely do not want my hair to be dry.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Does any one use it?  If so, have you noticed any difference in your hair?  Share your details.  Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1. The times I’ve tried a protein shampoo, they were quite drying. I like to use hydrating ones.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Here is my take on Protein and hair:

Protein is NOT for everyone. It took me decades to figure out why my hair NEVER responded to deep conditioners, while most shampoos and conditioners made my hair feel dry and straw-like, why my color would strip so quickly. I have to say Thank You to the Diva-Curls book because that was how I discovered the world of protein and NON-protein products and why you need to know which to use.

I have coarse, low porosity hair and protein in products is THE WORST thing as my hair does NOT need it. 98% of all hair products on the market contain protein; if it says repair, it has protein.  If it says conditioning, it has protein. If it says MOISTURE, there is a good chance it does NOT contain protein but you have to read the label. Protein in products comes in 38 (the last time I checked) different names. THIRTY-EIGHT! Many products have multiple proteins in both shampoo and conditioners. Deep conditioners are usually protein based. You have to truly search for those that are protein free. K-pak, the most popular deep conditioner does NOTHING for my hair and is protein based. 

In the end, once you find the products that work specifically for your hair, the difference is AMAZING. I have silky, high shine, lustrous and full of body hair and my color is deep and rich. I also only wash twice a week (that's all I need) and deep condition with a moisture mask every other time I wash. HTH anyone who is interested. : )

@SahmIam I never used conditioners or deep conditioners before. I always used a leave in spray conditioner. Now my hair is so dry I need it. It's still dry. I have to add Argan oil to conditioner or it does nothing.

38 names for the different proteins. Sounds like all the different names they have for MSG. You have to carry a list to know all of them. LOL!!! Ridiculous!!!

Right now my hair is thin & getting thinner with lots of breakage. I generally wash every day.

My hair looks better when I use Skinns set in the silver bottles.

I have tried a lot of different sulfate free shampoo's & they all eventually dry out my hair.

I never used to have any problems. Just wash, spray on leave on conditioner & comb my hair.

It would be easier if I just shave my head. LOL!!!

@Nightowlz  As I got older, my hair became drier along with my skin. I started washing my hair only 3 times a week and using a good conditioner in the shower. Maybe washing too often is drying your hair/scalp.

Respected Contributor

This protein phenomenon and hair is bewildering.  I had a neighbor who had a deep protein conditioning pack done a few years ago and her hair got 'mushy' (her words ??) and basically broke off.  She was left with 2 inches of frizzy hair all over her head.  She cried for days.  Fortunately she could pull off a short 'buzzy cut' look-- once she recovered from the shock and got what hair she had shaped.

Respected Contributor

My stylist told me one time not to use protein shampoos. Really not that good for your hair. One reason is that it can do more harm than good such as breakate and drying out the hair.

Respected Contributor

Best thing to do is not take our advise. Just try  a good brand  and see if it works for you. If your hair is not that bad then you may not even need a protien shampoo.  

It was a miricle worker for my hair  when it was damaged.  Honestly most shampoos have protien in it anyays.  The drugstore  like Tressemme Platinum Strong ( a protien shampoo) makes my hair dry and brittle but usenig  Redken Extreme makes my hair  fantastic. I recommend  Extreme because it is formulated to not  cause build up or brittleness. It fills in the gaps of your hair and all other protien washes away