Contributor

Product Freshness: How Much Does It Matter?

I was reading articles about how long one should keep cosmetics and skin care items. Things do expire, expecially due to exposure to light and oxygen, but what about products that are unopened? Do you think a face cream, for example, loses its effectiveness if it is still sealed and boxed, but has been sitting around a while? Most articles only address opened/used products.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Product Freshness: How Much Does It Matter?

@New Leaf wrote:

I was reading articles about how long one should keep cosmetics and skin care items. Things do expire, expecially due to exposure to light and oxygen, but what about products that are unopened? Do you think a face cream, for example, loses its effectiveness if it is still sealed and boxed, but has been sitting around a while? Most articles only address opened/used products.

@New Leaf, Products that are "actives" like an AHA or lactic acid etc., when sitting for a long time it become stronger I've read.I keep my products and makeup out of direct light....room temp or cooler...no probs at all! nary an eye or skin infection.

I have had some foundations for ages and still fresh looking and feeling but my skin is dry so I can't use it. ODD! haha....goodness knows what is in it right? it was 165.00 when I bought that so no way was it gonna be chuckled out lol. it was La Prairie's Caviar foundation -wow I just loved it! with a concealer on top...it's now almost 200.00... ACK! I'm older and wiser now Smiley Wink 

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Trusted Contributor

I think it really depends on the product and its ingredients.  I recently had to throw away some JM argon balm and hand exfoliator because they had turned rancid.  They were all under a year old and I wasn't paying attention to them.  It's my fault but I still  wasn't very happy about throwing them out!!!

Honored Contributor

@gonnab wrote:

I think it really depends on the product and its ingredients.  I recently had to throw away some JM argon balm and hand exfoliator because they had turned rancid.  They were all under a year old and I wasn't paying attention to them.  It's my fault but I still  wasn't very happy about throwing them out!!!

@gonnab That's really unacceptable, and I don't think you are to blame.  Most of what I've read says unopened products stay good for 2yrs., and 1 yr. for opened so they shouldn't have gone bad so soon.  JM products aren't inexpensive, they should have lasted longer for you.  IMO, that right there is incentive to find less expensive alternative argan oil products.