Esteemed Contributor

Re: Poll - to use or not use product before coloring

#1 and #2. But, mostly #1. If you call Nick Chavez's Velvet Mesquite serum, product. I don't use any gels or hairsprays.

Also, I only color roots at my home "salon," which I do every 8 weeks or so.

Respected Contributor

My hairdresser shampoos my hair before coloring to make sure it is super clean.

Contributor

I'm a Salon Colorist. Clean hair unless you have a sensitive scalp then a couple days of not shampooing. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@Grouchomarx would you mind sharing the name of your anti-breakage serum?  I'm having that problem.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@Grouchomarx would you mind sharing the name of your anti-breakage serum?  I'm having that problem.

I'll certainly share it with you, it's Carol's Daughter Monoi anti breakage spray. HOWEVER it has not been helping me that much since my breakage seems to stem from tossing in my sleep.  I still use to ward off  breakage during styling and I do think it helps with that.  Otherwise I'd probably be bald by now.

Respected Contributor

I am going to ask my stylist next time.

She puts the color on, I sit for awhile.  Then she washes my hair and styles it.  I try to go as long as possible without washing it again.

She (nor other stylists) have given me instructions.  I am NO expert, but I think today's products may be advanced enough that it doesn't matter as much as in the past.

Every stylist I've talked to says reds are the most fragile as far as color retention.  My natural hair color was a half brunette, half red, combo.  So I try to go as close as possible.  Nothing much seems to help color retention.  Preserving my color just means I can't go too long between colorings.  I miss my natural hair color a lot!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Comb through highlites here, I leave in Wen 613 CC.  

Converted my stylist!  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras