Respected Contributor

Re: Please remember to use animal cruelty free products!

@rnmom wrote:

@cuddlesmama- sometimes it's hard to find lists of cruelty free home products. You can try logical harmony, cruelty free kitty and phyrra websites. They are very good resources. I buy a lot of my household items from Vitacost and when I'm searching for a particular product I just use the filter and search specifically for cruelty free so it really narrows it down for me. Some that I can think of off the top of my head are Mrs. Meyers, Method, Ecos. But there's actually tons of brands and products out there if you look around. I'm still trying to go cruelty free too, I try to purchase new cruelty free products when I can but I still have a stockpile of toothpaste, bar soap, etc that I need to use up. 

All of the big companies test on animals, Proctor and Gamble, Unilever, Johnson and Johnson, etc. so you can pretty much figure that you won't be buying any of your regular products anymore. When I first started researching I was amazed to see that pretty much everything in my home came from a company that tested on animals. It was truly shocking! The change has been gradual for me, starting with skincare and makeup. Then moving onto bath and body products, fragrance, then home products. Even things like sunblock, deodorant, dishsoap, all come from companies that test on animals. It can be overwhelming at first, and I was beating myself up if I accidentally bought something from a non cruelty free company. It's a process, every small decision you make for the good of the animals is a good step. Good luck with your journey!

Thank you soo much for taking to write this lengthy info. I will check out the product companies and when I go to the store will check out the products and see what products are cruelty free. I think target sells some brands that are I think Mrs Meyers products are but will check it out. Thanks again much appreciated!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom wrote:

@cuddlesmama- sometimes it's hard to find lists of cruelty free home products. You can try logical harmony, cruelty free kitty and phyrra websites. They are very good resources. I buy a lot of my household items from Vitacost and when I'm searching for a particular product I just use the filter and search specifically for cruelty free so it really narrows it down for me. Some that I can think of off the top of my head are Mrs. Meyers, Method, Ecos. But there's actually tons of brands and products out there if you look around. I'm still trying to go cruelty free too, I try to purchase new cruelty free products when I can but I still have a stockpile of toothpaste, bar soap, etc that I need to use up. 

All of the big companies test on animals, Proctor and Gamble, Unilever, Johnson and Johnson, etc. so you can pretty much figure that you won't be buying any of your regular products anymore. When I first started researching I was amazed to see that pretty much everything in my home came from a company that tested on animals. It was truly shocking! The change has been gradual for me, starting with skincare and makeup. Then moving onto bath and body products, fragrance, then home products. Even things like sunblock, deodorant, dishsoap, all come from companies that test on animals. It can be overwhelming at first, and I was beating myself up if I accidentally bought something from a non cruelty free company. It's a process, every small decision you make for the good of the animals is a good step. Good luck with your journey!

I love Mrs. Meyer's products..they work well and smell yummy! I use Nellies soap for my laundry Its cruelty free...it softens my clothes..and they never fade! Nellie's also has dishwasher soap..need to check that out.  I get Mrs. Meyers at Target and Nellies from HSN. There are alot more things I need to check..it IS a process! Thanks for your post!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Thank you for this reminder, @emmysmom

Providing information is important.   People can use the information to inform their choices.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Thank you for this reminder, @emmysmom

Providing information is important.   People can use the information to inform their choices.

Several years ago I was very aware of what I was buying...not thinking about the new products I was buying...happy that I discovered MaggieQ and it brought it all back. Just discovered Bath and Body Works is CF...Bon Ami and Dr. Bronner too..so far..so good~ Heart Thanks Homegirl!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

It never hurts to have a reminder from time to time, @emmysmom.

After all, someone made a fortune from Post-it notes just because we're all human and do need reminders.  Woman Wink

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have used a household cleaner for many years that is good for the environment and safe for my cat.  As far as I know, my makeup is cruelty free.  Cat Happy  What I don't do is preach to others what they should buy.

You always recommend acure ,all the time ,she is not preaching.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
QVC Customer Care

Occasional Contributor

Well, that didn't take long.  

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama- you are very welcome, anything I can do to help. Also make sure you check packages for one of the cruelty free bunnies on the label, there are only 2-3 that are legit. Just because something says "not tested on animals" doesn't mean anything. They can print anything they want on their labels. 

Simple Truth is another cruelty free brand that comes to mind, along with Dr. Bronners, JR Watkins, Earth Friendly. I find a lot of them are hard to find in the store except for Method and Mrs. Meyers, that's why I buy a lot from Vitacost. The selection is huge and the prices are really good too. I can get all my toiletries, skin care, cleaning supplies, etc. 

We don't have a Target close to my home but I think you are right, I think Target does have a better selection of cruelty free products than most places.