Honored Contributor

Re: Permanent makeup for lips and eye liner. Would you do it again? Any tips?

I think the only reason I would ever have this kind of thing done is if I was physically unable to do my own makeup. I enjoy applying liners and coloring my lips. If one day I no longer can do it then maybe I'd consider taking on a permanent approach.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

One of the sales clerks at our local Department Store at the Estee Lauder counter had her lips permanently lined. It looked very professional. I would have never known had we not been talking so much and she mentioned it.

While it looked very natural, I would get sick of the same color after a while. I like to try too many different colors.

Also she said it was painful and her lips were sore for a while after......

Super Contributor

@havefun2day I had my lips done about 6years ago and I found it to be very painful. My lips were swollen and bruised and were really sore. They scabbed over and all the color pretty much came off with the scabs!!  Perhaps I had someone that did not know how to do it but I will never try it again.

Respected Contributor

There has been medical research that indicates that tattoo ink never leaves the body. It actually shows up in lymph nodes (dyes them the color of the ink) as the body tries to rid itself of this foreign substance. Anyone considering tattoos should look into this and consider. I cannot verify how toxic it is.

Occasional Contributor

I'm 54 and I was very tired of the eyeliners smearing, fading, or travelling to my undereye bags and circles. I had my eyebrows microbladed and my upper and lower lids lightly lined. It looks very natural, very pretty. I went with a highly recommended spa which specializes in microblading, permanent cosmetics, and eyelash extensions. I am extremely happy with the work they did and I feel it enhances my face.

Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

One of the sales clerks at our local Department Store at the Estee Lauder counter had her lips permanently lined. It looked very professional. I would have never known had we not been talking so much and she mentioned it.

While it looked very natural, I would get sick of the same color after a while. I like to try too many different colors.

Also she said it was painful and her lips were sore for a while after......

Done right it looks very nice, the key is to find a very skilled professional.  After the lips heal, any lip color product can be worn over the top.  I do have a high tolerance to pain, but still a bit chicken. Would have the same color as my natural lips, but would like the outline of my lips defined so it wouldn't be a drastic change. Not something I will rush into and will consider all the info here and else where. Just don't want to do anything i will regret.  

Contributor

@haircut1001 wrote:

I'm 54 and I was very tired of the eyeliners smearing, fading, or travelling to my undereye bags and circles. I had my eyebrows microbladed and my upper and lower lids lightly lined. It looks very natural, very pretty. I went with a highly recommended spa which specializes in microblading, permanent cosmetics, and eyelash extensions. I am extremely happy with the work they did and I feel it enhances my face.

So glad you had a good expierence and is exactly the outcome I would like to have.  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

My cousin who lives in a much bigger city in NC where there are more spas and pros to trust to do these procedures, told me she had her lips done (out lined) and upper lids lined.

Her take? Even though the lip liner was supposed to be close to her natural color, it was much darker.... they told her it allowed for fading. Until it did 9 months later (!), when her lipstick wore off, she had a hideous dark line around her mouth.

Eye liner? There were “skips” in the liner and she had to fill it in every day any way. All this was after going to the best permanent makeup artist in the city!

Again for me, no thank you. It takes 2 seconds to line w/ a good waterproof gel eye lining pencil and less time w/ lip pencil. What about the days when you want the natural look w/ just mascara and colored lip gloss? 

As mature women, will we ever accept the aging process and stop chasing the dream of looking like we did 20 yrs. ago? All we can do is look the very best for the age we are now. With good skincare & proper makeup, it’s achievable. It’s a good thing...not negative.

Honored Contributor

My friend got tattoo eyebrows a couple years ago . She had very thin light brows and recently had her eyelids lifted due to not being able to see properly; had them touched up a couple times and they look pretty good altho quite a healing process is involved. She found a top notch artist so make sure you do your homework--

Honored Contributor

Styles in eye makeup change, thick brows, thin brows.  Heavy cat liner, subdued liner.  So no, I wouldn't do it.  I know two people that have done this, the eyeliner person had to have it re-done within a couple years.  The eyebrow gal looks truly scary with dark, dark brows.  As she ages and goes softer with grey in her hair, its going to look even worse.