Trusted Contributor

Permanent Makeup

[ Edited ]

We went to a party last night and I was talking with two women who work with DH.

One had permanent makeup applied yesterday, both eyeliner and eye brows.  The other one had hers done last year by the same licensed esthetician (sp?).  She had brows, eyeliner and her lips done.

They looked great. They both said that she's the best but also quite expensive.  I'd love to not have to apply makeup anymore, I'm seriously considering this.

I once read and saw online where eyebrows turned a greenish color after this was done.  Has anyone had permanent makeup done?  I'd love to hear about your experiences and results.

Respected Contributor

This has been a practice for many years. I lived in California over 20 years ago and met several women who had the permanent eyebrows and eyelashes. The owner of the spa was an Asian lady and she had just had her eyebrows done..they looked okay but I discovered they were tattooed on and only lasted a couple of years. I was interested but changed my mind after thinking about it. 

Trusted Contributor

Too many health risks to ponder.

Trusted Contributor

I've had permanent eyeliner since 2001.  It took two applications to complete.  Once, and then he went over it again about a week later.  Hurt like heck, but still looks good !!

Trusted Contributor

On upper and lower lids.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Harvard99 

Many years ago I had the brows done.  The aesthetician carefully explained that although my brows were black, she was mixing several colors ( one was a purple ) to give the brows “ depth “ rather than a flat matte appearance.

I was extremely careful to keep applying thenointments she gave me afterwards.  However, the skin didn’t accept / keep all the product inserted.  There were one or two areas that she had to retouch because the skin sloughed them off.

The permanent color does fade...it may take a year or two for the brows.

However, I had the upper outer section of my lashes done and they truly lasted a long time.  I couldn’t sit still for the remaining portion of lashes.   When I noticed others who had the entire upper and lower lashes done, it looked as though it “ closed “ up the eyes.

Doing the lips: ask if there is any bleeding during the procedure.

Be aware that if you are a regular blood donor, you cannot give blood for one year because of the tattoo.  I had mine done in a dermatologist office:  it made no difference at the Blood Drive.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I had permanent eyeliner done easily 20 years ago.  My eyes swell if I cry and use a tissue and the light pressure she applied created a lot of swelling.

I was swelling even as she was applying.  I I spent all night with baggies of frozen peas on my eyes.

It looked great, but the upper liner was lost under eyeshadow.  I had never intended to quit using eyeshadow.

I never got it redone, but The top is still noticeable and the bottom fairly noticeable when I go to the beach.

I saw a much older woman who I thought might be in her 80's after her eyes and brows were done and it looked horribly, terribly harsh.

Honored Contributor

Not for me.

It may look great when you’re young and everything is smooth, tight, flushed with color, and lifted, but eventually things start shifting and you loose some natural color, so the tattooed makeup looks dark and harsh. 

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Not for me.

It may look great when you’re young and everything is smooth, tight, flushed with color, and lifted, but eventually things start shifting and you loose some natural color, so the tattooed makeup looks dark and harsh. 

I'm not young, I'm over 65. The two women I spoke with are younger, one in their forties and the other mid fifties I'd say.   I would think a good and experienced esthetician would certainly take age into account when creating brows and eyeliner.
This just seems so convenient and I also live in S. Florida where you can literally sweat off your makeup in no time flat during most of the year. 
Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Not for me.

I'm not young, I'm over 65. The two women I spoke with are younger, one in their forties and the other mid fifties I'd say.   I would think a good and experienced esthetician would certainly take age into account when creating brows and eyeliner.
This just seems so convenient and I also live in S. Florida where you can literally sweat off your makeup in no time flat during most of the year. 

@Harvard99  No argument there, it certainly does sound like it would be convenient.  Even so, how can someone expect an esthetician or tattoo artist to be able to take into account any and all possibilities that may or may not happen at some undetermined time in the future?  Clients are all different and they age differently.  Some are conscientious about their diet, water consumption, and skincare while others are not.  Some start out with good intentions and habits but then peter out as aging and circumstances take place. I was avoiding saying this because it sounds unkind but my sister had her upper and lower eyeliner done a few years ago, She was around your age at the time.  She thought it would be convenient too but IMO, it didn’t do her any favors.  Any drooping seems more accentuated and her eyes look like they’re partially closed all the time.  

I recently saw two separate articles about two different women who wanted to have microblading done and the both ended up with four eyebrows!