Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice - Order of Application Question

I just received some Paula's Choice products and hope all those that love and use Paula's Choice can advise me on the order of application. I ordered Resist C15, Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel and Clinical 1% Retinol treatment. What order should I use the products and do any of you have any other recommendations for additional products added to the above? TIA.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Frequent Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice - Order of Application Question

I wouldn't use these all at once - it is some pretty strong stuff you got there!

I would use the Resist C15 in the morning as Vitamin C during the day is a powerful antioxidant and can help with staving off free radicals.

I would also alternate nights with the 8% AHA about 3 days a week and the Clinical 1% retinol use only about 3 days a week and give your face a break on Sunday.

Be sure to follow the directions on that retinol if you have never used one before. It is very strong and can cause some irritation. Buffering (mixing in with your moisturizer) can help to alleviate the irritation.

If you have irritation, cut back to two days a week with buffering.

I use the C15 in the AM, and the 1% Retinol only 2 times a week. I have been using retinol for about 8 years now and this one from Paula's Choice is very strong. I also buffer with my moisturizer.

A good cleanser and SPF 30 during the day with using these products and you are good to go! Good luck!

Super Contributor

On 6/19/2014 UMTerpFan said:

I just received some Paula's Choice products and hope all those that love and use Paula's Choice can advise me on the order of application. I ordered Resist C15, Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel and Clinical 1% Retinol treatment. What order should I use the products and do any of you have any other recommendations for additional products added to the above? TIA.

Paula gives this recommendation: 1. Cleanse 2. Tone 3. Exfoliate [AHA Gel] 4. Serums [C+] 5. Moisturize with SPF in the morning.

Retinol is used only in the evening. I believe that it would fall under step #4 Serum. Instead of the Vit C+, use the Retinol. BUT................I don't use retinol so I would check with another poster.

It's best to start one new product at a time. If you get a reaction, good or bad, you won't know what's causing it.

The Clinical Retinol is a very potent product. Would you consider using one of her Resist Antioxidant Serums instead?

Trusted Contributor

The general rule is always thinnest to thickest in consistency when using at the same time, referring to AM or PM use. However, I think L2L gave you some invaluable recommendations on when to use what and when to alternate. You don't want to overload your skin at any time with aggressive formulas.

And keep this in mind when starting any new skincare. I learned about this from a very prominent Dermatologist, Dr Leslie Baumann, who often is interviewed on a wide range of skin issues in the major Beauty mags (Allure, Vogue, Self, etc):

Essentially Dr B said that if you notice serious breakouts soon after commencing a new product, it is almost always just mere co-incidence because breakouts take much longer to develop than just a few days (more like weeks she confirmed.) Now if the reaction resembles a typical rash type response, almost right away, that could be a sign that it contains some ingredient that your skin might be allergic to. Her whole point, in this particular interview, was that too often, women will claim that this or that skincare product makes them breakout when usually this is not truly the case. Her other point was that acne related breakouts develop deep within the skin, where skin creams, serums or whatever do not reach.

It is always good to introduce products one at a time, at least for the first few days, to see if any rash type reaction occurs. If no rash develops then likely the product will work with your skin, however(and a big however) some of the products you bought are strong so following L2L's time table may help you avoid reactions from your skin from being overly aggressive all at once.

I also agree with L2L that you have purchased the major players in skincare so adding a good cleanser (which you likely already own) and effective sunscreen, you have your bases covered. I'll add on to that with a good moisturizer for your skin type. You will need one possibly with the retinol and will probably require keeping one on hand to use as a final step at night, that is, given you do not need to buffer with it directly with your retinol.

I do hope I haven't made things even more confusing yet I think Dr Baumann's advice is really worth knowing about so you can avoid any misinterpretations.

Super Contributor

I thought about the answers that we've given you here. It's been based on a scarity of info on your part? What is your skin type? What products are you now using. Why AHA vs BHA?

But, most importantly, is this your first rodeo with retinol? There are SOOOO MANY cautions when we start talking retinol.

Other brands? Strengths? Your reaction?

You have received good answers based literally on the lack-of-specific details accompanying your questions.

Please give us more info and we can give better info.

If this fails, meaning if something remains unanswered.......................Paula's CS is stupendous. Call and ask. Or send an email. I've had mine answering in around 12 hrs. (i.e. overnight). If you're concerned about strength, ask for samples.