Honored Contributor

PETER THOMAS ROTH NEW VITAMIN C SERUM

I saw this on his website, and I just ordered it yesterday.  Has anyone ordered this or received/tried it yet?  It's comparable in price to the one I've been using (Drunk Elephant-a little cheaper but not much).  It's ok.  I'm hoping Peter's is my holy grail.

I was going to order SkinCeuticals, but that one is crazy expensive.

So, heads' up for those who are looking for a new Vitamic C serum and if you have tried it, please let me know how you like it!  Thanks

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Re: PETER THOMAS ROTH NEW VITAMIN C SERUM

Once I found the Timeless vit C serum I have never looked for another.

It is also a 20% vit C with vit E and ferulic acid.

Great price, fresh, and effective.

I love PTR products but the price of this item seems very high.

Respected Contributor

@winamac1

I'm auditioning a vit. C oil from The Ordinary-20% in fatty acids; this line has 3 other forms of vit. C as well.

Cost: $17.00 and change w/free shipping from Sephora.

No water in product to destabilize formula.

Products made in Canada.

Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully it is better than the ones they have out now. The third ingredient was alcohol. You would think he would know better.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201wrote:

Hopefully it is better than the ones they have out now. The third ingredient was alcohol. You would think he would know better.

I thought it was further down the list.  I'm ok with 3rd--if  that's it.  not first or 2nd.

Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1wrote:

@Irshgrl31201wrote:

I thought it was further down the list.  I'm ok with 3rd--if  that's it.  not first or 2nd.

Oh @winamac1 I don't know if it is even in the new formulation at all. Hopefully not. Yes in the camu one (serum) it is 3rd. Personally I don't want it in there at all. It is destructive to the skin, it destroys healthy substances in the skin and even in small percentages it is harmful and aging  to the skin. The whole reason I like to use Vit c and other serums is to help my skin address different aging issues so using alcohol (with low molecular weight the bad ones) is counterintuitive.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Alcohol is NOT one of the top ingredients in this new product!! Let's be fair.

@Irshgrl31201

Honored Contributor

Most alcohols used in cosmetics are ethanols, or ethyl alcohol also termed grain alcohol. This type of alcohol, though still caustic, is found to be less damaging to skin and that's why it's used in cosmetics. Depending on a product's ingredients, the addition of alcohol will help keep some of the ingredients from separating or crystallizing. One ingredient in particular is ferulic acid which is insoluble powder in water or anything water-based. To dissolve the ferulate it must be emulsified so that it can disperse throughout a serum. This is usually where the alcohol comes into play.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you misunderstood @winamac1, I didn't say it was. I said it was the 3rd in the Camu one. I haven't seen the new PTR vit C serum at all or the ingredients. 

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMeewrote:

Most alcohols used in cosmetics are ethanols, or ethyl alcohol also termed grain alcohol. This type of alcohol, though still caustic, is found to be less damaging to skin and that's why it's used in cosmetics. Depending on a product's ingredients, the addition of alcohol will help keep some of the ingredients from separating or crystallizing. One ingredient in particular is ferulic acid which is insoluble powder in water or anything water-based. To dissolve the ferulate it must be emulsified so that it can disperse throughout a serum. This is usually where the alcohol comes into play.

There are good alcohols, I am speaking of the bad ones.

JFK