Contributor

PC SKin Recovery Line and Milia

Anyone use the PC Skin Recovery line and get milia from it?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: PC SKin Recovery Line and Milia

I've been using the SPF moisturizer in this line and haven't had any issues with milia but I am also not prone to milia.

Super Contributor

I get milia from priducts that contain silicones, and both moisturizers contain silicones. Oils can cause milia for some people, too.

Honored Contributor

I use it and see no connection between it and milia.

I also am not convinced that milia is caused by skin care products. Milia are not clogged pores. They don't occur in pores at all. Basically they are little keratin-filled pockets of skin.

There is no consenus as to what causes them, but sun damage, burns or blistering, long-term use of steroid creams, and some skin resurfacing procedures are considered possible culprits. And some people are just prone to them.

I think that many connect milia with heavy creams or moisturizers because they look similar to acne, which can be exacerbated by certain products. But they are not acne. A male employee of mine had probably a dozen milia removed from his cheek and eye area. He had never used any moisturizers or creams on his face.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

cassiem, I saw your post after I submitted mine. I always like reading your posts, and I respect your opinion. I hope we can agree to disagree on this point.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 suzyQ3 said:

cassiem, I saw your post after I submitted mine. I always like reading your posts, and I respect your opinion. I hope we can agree to disagree on this point.

HAHAHA, SuzyQ, I just had to say I LOVE the quote on your signature line! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. Her CS rep said the cream may be causing it and it is too heavy. I really love the way this line makes my skin feel so I may try one of the BHA's and see if that helps per their suggestion.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 tray said:

Thanks for the feedback. Her CS rep said the cream may be causing it and it is too heavy. I really love the way this line makes my skin feel so I may try one of the BHA's and see if that helps per their suggestion.

tray, certainly a gentle exfoliation couldn't hurt. I wonder, though, whether that CS rep might be giving a stock answer regarding anything remotely similar to a break-out. Here's the information about milia from their own site. Nothing is said about creams or moisturizers being a culprit:

If you've had milia, you likely wondered if they were some kind of pimple. While many people mistake the tiny, pearl-like bumps for acne, they are not the same thing. One of the easiest ways to identify milia bumps are by how they feel.

Unlike acne, milia are rather firm, and squeezing has little to no impact on them. Also unlike acne, these bumps can show up around the eyes and on parts of the face where there aren't active oil glands. Milia also don't have the pain associated with acne when a pimple forms and then becomes inflamed and sore.

Milia occur when dead skin cells get trapped under the skin's surface, forming small, hard cysts. It's estimated that nearly 50% of infants in the United States get milia, in part because their young skin is still "learning" to exfoliate. As their skin matures, the milia will disappear on their own. Doctors don't consider infant milia to be a problem, and rarely prescribe treatment for it. Parents may find the bumps unsightly, but the baby isn't bothered by them, and they have no impact on the baby's health.

Adults can get two forms of milia: primary and secondary. Primary is the type seen in babies, caused by skin cells that build up because they just didn't exfoliate properly. Secondary milia happens when a skin condition that leads to blistering actually damages the pore lining. Burns or severe rashes can increase the number of skin cells trapped under the skin's surface.

Sun damage is also a contributing factor to milia because it makes skin rough and leathery, so it's more difficult for dead cells to rise to the skin's surface and shed normally.

Because milia often go away on their own without treatment, being patient and waiting it out is an option—but waiting is definitely not for everyone!

Primarily, it is critical that you not squeeze, scrape, poke, or in any other way physically try to remove the milia from your face as you would a pimple. Because milia are hard and under the skin's surface, these methods are unlikely to help. Instead, you wind up irritating and damaging the skin surrounding the cyst. Some people have even scarred themselves trying to dig out milia—and there's no question a scar will last longer than any milia bump!

Because milia can form when the skin's natural exfoliation process malfunctions, you can use a targeted exfoliation treatment with salicylic acid to immediately improve exfoliation and allow the bump to dissolve on its own relatively quickly.

Of course, you also can see a dermatologist, who can tell you which type of milia you have. Secondary milia might require a doctor to use a hypodermic needle to remove the cyst, or cryotherapy, which involves freezing the cyst and then removing it. If your milia don't respond to an exfoliating treatment after several weeks, consider making an appointment with your dermatologist.

Although not a lot can be done to prevent milia, maintaining a suitable skin-care routine certainly helps minimize the chance of them appearing. Because secondary milia can be caused by sun damage, always use a moisturizer with at least SPF 15 to protect your skin every day, and give those annoying white bumps less of a reason to set up shop on your face!

Yes, milia is a real pain to put up with, but there are things you can do to treat it. Remember: Patience, daily exfoliation, sun protection, and resisting the temptation to take matters into your own hands can go a long way to having clearer, bump-free skin sooner!

Sources:

Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 18th Edition, Saunders Elsevier, 2007, Chapter 646; Dermatology, Mosby, 2003, pages 1722–1723; Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine, 6th Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2003, pages 601, 604, 780; Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics, 19th Edition, McGraw-Hill Medical, 2008; and http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1213423-overview.