Honored Contributor

Re: Out of all your MAKEUP items what is your Prize Possession?

@deja vu It's just that cheap one that you see everywhere.

It's the same one I've used for years.  Although I have to admit that since I've gotten so freaking old it isn't as easy to keep the bottom lashes from getting squashed.  But it all works out.

I remember something I learned way back in the 60's when tons of mascara ruled....."start from the base of the eyelash to apply the mascara.  Put the wand at the base and the close your eyes.  The wand will apply the mascara evenly and it will be be distributed the way it is supposed to be.

A lot of people don't do this so the lashes become too thick on the top.

I'm not kidding when I tell you I can put on eye makeup in 3 minutes or less.  Now i can't do the top eyeliner in that time so now I line the inner rim of the eye.  All of that takes 3 minutes or less and I get compliments all of the time.  I guess it looks OK.  I bring the eye liner out just a bit at the end of the eye but not a lot.

I only use Maybelline waterproof.  I sweat like you would not believe (it's crazy), yet it never runs.  I remember when my husband died, I'd boo hoo anywhere and everywhere and that mascara did me proud because you could never tell I'd been crying.

Another trick is I use is I take a Q-tip and put a tiny, tiny bit of Clinique gentle eye make-up remover and clean up any boo boos.  That tube of Clinique will last you forever.  In fact so long you could probably include it in your Will (Ha).  I swear by that stuff.  My daughters used to use it when I bought it and they lived at home.  Now they use Vaseline to remove their Maybelline eye makeup.  We come from a long line of eyelash curler people (that looks weird).

I just went into the bathroom and looked it's Revlon and it's the cheap one even the grocery stores sells.

I have bought the more expensive fancy one's but with my arthritis and all they're just too difficult for me to hold onto.  The cheapo Revlon one's just work the best for me.

I always clean it after each use and the rubber lasts forever on them.

Even my 14 and almost 16 year old granddaughters use them.  Just make sure you get to the base of the eyelash.  It's mind over matter, I guess.

I use IT eyeliner.  Hey!  You know what?  I mentioned that in the summer I use lighter makeup?  Well, I grabbed Laura Geller primer (the clear one) I'm too lazy to get back up) but it's so weird.  Today I was sweating like crazy and came into the house.  Pulled off the stupid wig and put away some soup I'd bought for the weekend (I don't cook so this weekend I'll eat Panera soup and salad).  Then I went flying back out to pick up my friend so we could have dinner.

I felt so light and not as hot....I thought..."Hummm?? The air isn't as humid and hot".  Then I looked in the mirror in the car and da da da dommm.....I'd forgotten the freaking wig!

Well, not to be outdone...I remembered I carry an extra wig in my car...Yepper...that's how vain I am.  I threw that puppy on (don't even need a mirror) and went on down the road...sweating hot like a piggy again (it's like wearing a wool hat).  I swear that wig and I have a love/hate relationship.

Again today the girl at Panera's said, "You sure don't look 71".  It was so hard not to pull off the wig and say, "How about now".  Ha!  But instead I said what I often do, "I just paint it up".  I know it's a compliment but just because I don't have brown marks or wrinkles, like I said, "A love/hate relationship with this wig".  Ha!

Going to go get in bed and watch TV now.  My Jon's popcorn from QVC came today but I'll wait on that.

Take care sweet girl.  I hope I haven't bored you to death.  Stay safe.  Fondly, Annabellethecat....

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a prized makeup possession currently but I do have some nice items that I think have stood the test of time in that I've had them for more than a year and I frequently use them. For makeup I like the Maybelline Master Contour Face Contouring Kit in the light-medium shade. The contour color is too warm a shade for that purpose but it makes the perfect bronzer. The blush is a nice pink rose shade. The highlighter is a soft glow and not super glittery. I don't use the brush it came with though. I do travel with this palette and brought it with me to Australia this spring. I don't like the medium-deep kit as there was too much sparkle in that darker coral shade blush and I noticed that the medium-deep kit had a lot of powder fallout that the light-medium kit didn't have.

From Pinterest this is what the kit I like looks like:

Image result for maybelline master contour face contouring kit pinterest

Trusted Contributor

My Thrive mascara.....only mascara ever that stays on my eyes and I’ve tried them all!  Good topic!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I absolutely love the Neutrogena Moisture Smooth Color Crayon Lipsticks....comes in beautiful colors and so moisturizing!

You have to see the colors in the store, as they don't show up that well online.

eta:...Oh, I just remembered that I also have to mention Burt's Bees Moisturizing Lip Balms....Coconut/Pear is my favorite!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

You made me laugh out loud...thanks for that !!

Good tip on the mascara..I always go to the base of my lashes but not tried closing my eye on it.  I'll give it a try soon, fingers crossed I don't stick the wand in my eye. lol

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  You are refreshing.  I love the wig story and the fact that you keep an extra in the car!  lol  Take care.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@2zbeach wrote:

My Thrive mascara.....only mascara ever that stays on my eyes and I’ve tried them all!  Good topic!

@2zbeach  Is that one of those "tube" mascaras, or is it a traditional mascara?

Do you like anything else from the brand?

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

I don't have a prized makeup possession currently but I do have some nice items that I think have stood the test of time in that I've had them for more than a year and I frequently use them. For makeup I like the Maybelline Master Contour Face Contouring Kit in the light-medium shade. The contour color is too warm a shade for that purpose but it makes the perfect bronzer. The blush is a nice pink rose shade. The highlighter is a soft glow and not super glittery. I don't use the brush it came with though. I do travel with this palette and brought it with me to Australia this spring. I don't like the medium-deep kit as there was too much sparkle in that darker coral shade blush and I noticed that the medium-deep kit had a lot of powder fallout that the light-medium kit didn't have.

From Pinterest this is what the kit I like looks like:

Image result for maybelline master contour face contouring kit pinterest

@TY  I usually avoid face palettes, but that one looks like it might work for me.  Is the blush matte?  Or maybe satin?

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel

I'm going to say that the blush in the light-medium palette is matte looking to me. It does have a slight satin finish when I look at a swatch on my hand under a magnifying glass as the very sleight shimmer is silver. I don't notice the shimmer at all when I look at the swatch without a magnifying glass. So it's the light-medium palette with the pink rose blush that I recommend.

The medium-deep palette's blush is a coral color and definitely not a matte. Some think that shade was a dupe for Nars O blush. There are definitely gold sparkles in that blush that are obvious without a magnifying glass.

Honored Contributor

I have so many makeup items.  Constantly trying new stuff. But if I had to choose a couple things --first and foremest -- Laura Geller Balance & Brighten powder foundation.  Love it, love the ease of it, love the feel of it and love that it's like one product that does it all!  I also like Physician's Formula mineral compact, the one that says it makes you look airbrushed!  It's very, very nice and makes your skin look so smooth.  For a staple I cannot be without  -- 2 things actually --- Burt's Bees Kokum Butter Lip Balm.  Keeps your lips in great condition, and not sticky!  The other --- Olay Complete Moisturizer (Sensitive skin formula).  Everything else I have I can take or leave!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin