Honored Contributor

Re: Oh no - lost my hair stylist

I have poker straight , very fine hair with 3 cowlicks. So getting it cut perfectly is vital. The lady today didn't cut in any layers - just basically evened out the edges. I NEED layers. Oh well , in 4 weeks I'll be evaluating someone else.

Super Contributor

"Yelp"  may a have some useful ratings.

Honored Contributor

I recently moved and had to leave my terrrific hair stylist. I did find a girl in the local area but she still isn't as good. Whenever I travel back downstate for a visit with my kids I call ahead and make an appt with my old standby. That means traveling 500 miles there and back but I'll do it.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I always like my housekeeper's hair so I'm going to ask her where she goes. i found the last one from DH's cousin who always has very pretty hair. She told me if I find someone I like to let her know but meanwhile she is letting her hair grow for now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oh no - lost my hair styl

I have been through this and it is tough. When my hairstylist retired I didn't even go near another for over 6 months. I was so scared someone would ruin my hair.

My very short hair got so scraggly looking that I went to a different salon. A woman cut my hair similarly to how my old stylist did it so that was good. Then I went back a few months later for highlights. They turned out way too blonde. I did not want to go back to her anymore.

I waited several more months until I got the courage to go back to my original salon. The stylists there remembered me. One stylist who was available cut my hair and toned down the blonde. I have been going to her now for several years. She is the one responsible for helping me to grow out my short layered cut into a medium length and style.  

Honored Contributor

I had been going to the same styist for years. I liked the way she cut my hair and I likes her too. Well, she cut her hours and there would only be one day I could possibly get an appointment but I knew it would be tough because most of her customers would also be trying to get an appointment that day too.

So I figured I would try another stylist in the same salon. WELL - I found a real gem. She cut my hair and what a great job she did. No matter the weather or whatever happens - it looks nice. It just falls into place - I can be out in the wind and look at my hair hours later - and it looks good.

I found a new stylist and I would not have found her if I didn't take a chance. Good Luck

Super Contributor

Sorry to hear you lost a great stylist.   Dont be afraid to ask strangers where they go to get their hair cut and who does their hair.   Most people will be happy and flattered to be asked!  You surely will find someone new and maybe even better!!  Good luck...

Trusted Contributor

I have had the same hair stylist for 22 years!  If I ever lost her, I'd have a panic attack.  One time she had a family emergency that was going to cause her to be gone for 6 weeks.  I asked her what other stylist in the salon would do a good job on my hair, she told me who she thought would be best.  Fortunately, that worked out great.

Can you still reach your old stylist?  Call, email or write her and ask for some recommendations, at least you will have something to go on and feel somewhat positive about your next hair appointment

Trusted Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

this is precisely why i no longer wear my hair in a short, layered cut.  i am very picky about my hair being 'just right' and i would go for a haircut every 4 weeks to keep it looking the way i wanted.  but then, i would just get used to a stylist and before i knew it that stylist was gone.  it was wearing me out.

now i wear my hair all one length and it varies from chin length to shoulder length...depending on my mood.  i only get a trim two or three times a year (again, depending on my mood) and the cut is so simple that it's hard to screw it up.  (although this has happened!)  

i wish you luck.  hunting for that one special stylist is no fun.   

This is where I'm going, also. I have been growing out several nonsensical layers for about six months. I finally have one length in the front and layering at the bottom only in the back. I've had it with stylists' interpretations of a layered bob.