Esteemed Contributor

Re: OT: Question for ladies 60+ who still work

On 9/25/2014 Carmie said:

I suggest that you COAST at work. Coast means just do your job.. no more, no less. Don't offer to help or get involved in anything that you don't have to. You will still make the same amount of money and have less stress.

My husband was in this position about 10 years ago and he was getting ready to quit a job that he loved. If he would have quit, and had taken an early retirement, he would have lost a lot pension wise.

I told him to coast. He has coasted for about 10 years. He will now retire at the end of this year.

I, and many of my friends at work are also coasting. If the youngsters want to do it "all my themselves" let them. Just do your job, collect your check and smile.

That is what I did last three or four years of my job before I got laid off. I realized many years ago that my opinion wasn't valued and so I basically just gave up and did my job and went home, no more no less. Never let on you can do more because it will be the last time you do so little.I have a friend in the military and he always told me never volunteer because it will always be yours to do from then on.I had a supervisor who would spend 15-16 hrs. a day at her job. She would often be there till 10 o'clock at night and come in at seven in the morning all for nothing. They didn't appreciate her even though she worked through her vacations and days off etc. and what did she get return, laid off. As of today, almost a 18 months later she is still not working, not looking and is totally happy. I think she finally saw the light.
Esteemed Contributor

--

Super Contributor

On 9/28/2014 meowing kitty said:
On 9/25/2014 Carmie said:

I suggest that you COAST at work. Coast means just do your job.. no more, no less. Don't offer to help or get involved in anything that you don't have to. You will still make the same amount of money and have less stress.

My husband was in this position about 10 years ago and he was getting ready to quit a job that he loved. If he would have quit, and had taken an early retirement, he would have lost a lot pension wise.

I told him to coast. He has coasted for about 10 years. He will now retire at the end of this year.

I, and many of my friends at work are also coasting. If the youngsters want to do it "all my themselves" let them. Just do your job, collect your check and smile.

That is what I did last three or four years of my job before I got laid off. I realized many years ago that my opinion wasn't valued and so I basically just gave up and did my job and went home, no more no less. Never let on you can do more because it will be the last time you do so little.I have a friend in the military and he always told me never volunteer because it will always be yours to do from then on.I had a supervisor who would spend 15-16 hrs. a day at her job. She would often be there till 10 o'clock at night and come in at seven in the morning all for nothing. They didn't appreciate her even though she worked through her vacations and days off etc. and what did she get return, laid off. As of today, almost a 18 months later she is still not working, not looking and is totally happy. I think she finally saw the light.

I am 58, have 445 days until I retire the end of next year. I keep to myself, don't make suggestions or critize anyone. Stay under the radar, as it were. I need my pension/retirement so this is my tactic.

I have found that when you works with "millennials" you are basically invisible. They do not care about you or your ideas.

I work in a "professional" building that they refer to as a "campus". These are highly paid people, dress like poor college students and have little worth ethic.

I live for the day I can leave for the last time.

Honored Contributor

The idea of "coasting" seems good to me... if one has to (for benefits, etc). Although I do agree that working in a hostile environment hardly seems worth the effects of this stress on the human body.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~