Valued Contributor

Re: O/T personal habits in public?

I don't think I would say anything, but I have issues with LOTS of stuff I see people do. No, I am not perfect and of course, we all make errors in judgement. But going in for a thorough nose clean in public? Also, flossing of teeth in public? (I've seen this one, too).

But I also have a problem with some other etiquette stuff, like people who put their purses or handbags on TOP of the dining table while out, people who keep their cell phones out on the table when eating, etc., etc. I could go on. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Super Contributor

I must be in the minority here, but I would talk to this person.

The fact that she "shakes" out the handkerchief affects everyone around her.

She is inconsiderate, rude, and has disgusting social behavior.

If she was drinking a bottle of vodka at the meeting or smoking a cigarette or came in to the meeting with her blouse unbuttoned exposing her bra, wouldn't someone tell her that this is unacceptable behavior?

I'd pull her aside and tell her that no one wants to see - or be exposed - to her nose goodies.

Contributor

And I thought I was the only one who noticed these things... I work in an office of 25 people ranging in age from early 20's to early 60's. At least once a week I am repulsed by something that someone does. I am appalled that (in this case) women think it is perfectly acceptable to burp loudly while our kitchen/lunch area is filled with people. The other day a co-worker sitting next to me burped in my ear, said "excuse me" and kept right on talking. I gathered my things and went back to my desk. I am repulsed when I am eating and someone starts talking about their husband's hemorrhoid surgery including the blood and gore. As if that wasn't enough, she then proceeds to detail his first trips to the bathroom. Please, I beg you, don't talk to me about your period, your finger that is oozing with pus, or your trips to the bathroom or lack there of while we are eating.

We often have catered company functions and you can't imagine the number of people that won't use the utensils, opting to put their fingers in the food instead. I have stood watching someone pick their nose, then get in line to get more food. If that's not disgusting, I don't know what is. The silver lining here is that I am so particular about the food that I eat when we have a potluck that I have probably saved myself a million calories. Call me a germophobe, call me what you will, but once I have witnessed these disgusting sights, I AM FINISHED!!! Thanks for letting me rant!!! My mama taught me better than that!

P.S. I forgot to mention those that blow their nose into a napkin and then put it on the counter where we are eating. Am I being too picky? Pun intended {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

The woman in the next cubicle does the succking in - instead of blowing her nose. It's disgusting. Some days I could just throw up.

Super Contributor

I agree OP . . . it's unsanitary. There is nothing more disgusting than someone who proceeds to blow their nose loudly in front of others. Excuse yourself and go blow it privately if you're going to be loud about it and make a scene.

Worse yet are people who blow their nose and then don't wash their hands!!!! I used to call people out on a regular basis in my office but I have finally gotten my employees to wash after they blow. I mean, come on. These are manners a 5 year-old should be taught!!

Some people are pigs, pure and simple.

Respected Contributor

Unless, you are her manager, then, no. Go to her manager and have a private conversation about it and perhaps the manager will address it. I really do think there are health/sanitation issues here, as well as "grossness". That rag is germ laden and she is spreading those germs around. yuck!
"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel