Super Contributor

Re: O/T personal habits in public?

I don't think I would mention it but maybe you should. I once trained a gal who had to do some kind of treatment on her gums, then she would rub it on them and use my keyboard. I didn't say anything, just sanitized my keyboard after telling her to go practice at her desk on her own for awhile. She didn't last long and I never mentioned it to anyone. Maybe I should have.

Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2014 jurby said:
On 3/11/2014 CAshopper2011 said: Let it go or IF it really bothers you and prevents you from working or distracts you to the point that it interferes with your job, tell Human Resources....but don't confront the employee. Depending on how you went about it, it could be perceived as confrontational or picking on the employee.

Considering i work in HR the first thing you should do is talk with your coworker in private. Going to HR without talking with your coworker first is only going to have HR say to you "Have you talked with your coworker about it already?". if you don't HR is going to tell you to do so. only after you talk to your coworker first and the situation doesn't get rectified that way will HR be willing to take action, and only after you've also spoken with your boss/supervisor/manager.

NO WAY would anyone in HR, in this day and age, give anyone such BAD advice. The very last thing any employee should ever do is approach someone who obviously has "issues" over something like this. As a manager, I have never dealth with this particular problem but I have had employees with body odor issues, bad breath issues. We even had a woman who wore very thin cotton dresses....and no underwear. It was ALL on display for everyone to see. My staff brought their complaints to me, I went to HR and HR always told me to distance myself and to say NOTHING to the offenders and to advise my staff to say nothing. We are a large company with a large Occupational Health department and in those instances, HR didn't even speak with the stinky employees. HR referred the matter Occ Health and the nurses from that department handled things. You have problem with a coworker, you go to your supervisor manager first. If that fails, you go to HR. You never approach a problem employee yourself.

Trusted Contributor

I am not saying this to be snarky. About the time she ""shook it out"" - I would be vomiting .

That's just me.

I really feel for you- having to be subjected to this. I almost gagged -just reading about it.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Esteemed Contributor

Yuck, yuck, and yuck. Look away and don't say anything. If she does not know this is gross, I doubt she will change. I am sure others are grossed out by this too.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

I personally never have understood the idea of a hanky and blowing your nose SNOT on it and putting it back dirty into your pocket or purse to use again. Now that we have tissues- kleenx and such, hankys should never be used.... are just a bacteria laden gross awful thing to reuse and reuse..... makes me want to vomit!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}Most Women no longer( I hope!) use rags now that there is Kotex pads. A hanky is like a rag. GROSS!!!

Respected Contributor

I do not see the problem. I thought everyone blew their nose in public. Now I would not shake the hankie in public and spread germs but who uses a hankie these days? Does not everyone just use tissue or toilet paper and throw it away?

Esteemed Contributor

I think hankies are filthy ....why ...in this day and age...would people still use them...just reading your post made me sick to my stomach...I hate when anyone blow their nose when we are seated at the table to eat....especially those that really honk it out....then proceed to touch the bread...that I have to eat, too....

I once worked with a woman ....who was so nice....but really had bad body odor...and as we worked in a small space there was no moving away from the smell...I spoke to our boss and he brought her into the office.....and she cleaned up real good...

In another instance...a different job...I worked with a woman who would floss at the table..there she would be...at the lunch table flinging out her teeth junk...and she made a huge production of it....totally gross...fortunately I could move away from her or eat at a different time then her...so I wasn't subject to it on a daily basis...

Super Contributor

That is absolutely disgusting!! I didn't think anyone used cloth handkerchiefs anymore. If I knew her well enough, I would tell her it's disgusting and to use tissues.

I was behind a woman at a stop light, she took a swig of mouthwash, then spit it out the window. Absolutely disgusting!!

The other public habit that I can't stand is smoking, when people smoke outside of a office building or store entrance and you have to hold your breath to get past. Disgusting!!

Honored Contributor

That is really really gross but no, you shouldn't discuss it with her as it really isn't your place. We all probably have things we do that bother others (maybe not this extreme though!).

Trusted Contributor

On 3/11/2014 kcladyz said:

I do not see the problem. I thought everyone blew their nose in public. Now I would not shake the hankie in public and spread germs but who uses a hankie these days? Does not everyone just use tissue or toilet paper and throw it away?

Well that speaks volumes.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad