Valued Contributor

Re: O/T help: NYC next weekend..what to pack? What is must-see??

Here is the tour I have gone on 6 times. I highly recommend it. It's about $100 per person.

http://newyorktours.onboardtours.com/new-york-see-it-all-tour/

Trusted Contributor

I always love these threads and even though I live in North Jersey I always learn something new or add a new place to my "to visit" list.

I'm a member at the Museum of Natural History, it's such a lovely museum. You can take the uptown C line (subway) from Times Square to 81st Street. You'll see animals on the wall. They offer free tours that last about 70 minutes and I highly recommend it. I've probably taken about 10 myself and always learn something new. There's a Shake Shack near there (Columbus and 77th) if you don't like cafeteria type food that the museum offers.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is also very nice (it's on 5th Ave in the 80's). I could spend half a day in the Egyptian wing alone; it's just stunning (although Egypt has always been interesting to me). They also offer tours. You can check the schedule online. I loved the Egyptian tour. The Museum Highlights tour was just OK to me, but I'm not a huge art lover, so it just depends on your and your family's interest. If you want to walk a lot, you can walk down 5th or head into Central Park and wander around. You can check out the Central Park Zoo, which is around 5th & 64th. Sometimes I'll walk by on my way to wherever just to look at the sea lions from the outside. It's not walled off (just a fence) and there are benches outside. And also a restroom in the building behind the benches. If your kids are interested in the zoo, it's small and doesn't take too long to go through. I did it in a couple hours and I was taking my time.

I like to eat at a soup and sandwich place called Hale & Hearty for lunch. It's inexpensive and good. Some are closed on weekends, so you can look at the locations and hours online if that interests you.

My mom and I like to have dinner at Tony's Di Napoli. There's a Times Square location (I think 43rd between 6th & 7th), there's also an Upper East Side location. It's family style and reasonably priced (I think we would pay the same amount if we went to some place like Applebee's). I like their chicken marsala with extra bread for sauce dipping. Carmine's is also popular and family style.

Bubba Gump's in Times Square is fun to eat at, especially if you don't have a location near you. Long wait times though. If you don't mind an early bird type of seating, that would be less waiting.

St. Patrick's Cathedral should be a must see. They're currently renovating, so there's a lot of scaffolding around. It's so peaceful. The doors close and the noisy world outside is blocked off. It's a nice place to sit for a few minutes. Sometimes I'll come in during Mass and just sit in the back until it's finished.

You can visit the TKTS booth in Times Square if you're interested in seeing a Broadway show. They offer same day tickets for up to 50% off list price.

Top of the Rock is pretty. Look up U2's performance on Jimmy Fallon (Tonight Show) to see the views. Don't go if it's not so great weather, it's not worth it and the tickets aren't cheap (I think they're 24).

You can have a cupcake at the famous Magnolia bakery (6th and 49th).

If there are certain places you want to visit (like a museum), look it up online and and choose the things you really want to see, so you can have a game plan. That's always helpful to me and I make sure I get to see the things I'm most interested in. There's not time to see everything. I like the idea of a bus tour. I've always wanted to do that, just have to plan it with my allergy seasons.

If you're in the downtown area, you can take the Staten Island Ferry for free. I have not taken it myself, but I understand the views are very nice and you can see the Statue of Liberty.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Contributor

Thanks so much, everyone, for taking the time to reply. I just wrote down everyone's suggestions so I can research plan before we go. We do have a list but it's so nice to get input from those who have been there. We are in NYC Friday to Monday then taking a train to Boston. So excited! I'm most worried about weather and the subway!! As long as it isn't blizzarding I think we are ok!! I love the idea of the bus tour...we did that in Chicago and got so much out of it! We definitely have to pick and chose, no way to see it all this time. So everyone said dress warmly...are we talking heavy down coat or wool coat or lighter down jacket with fleece layers?? I don't want to be miserable and cold but don't want to lug lots of outerwear around either. What a coincidence, My3girls! Hope you enjoy your NYC trip too! Florida is on our list to visit also!!
Super Contributor

I love to go on bus tours when I go to a new city. You can see a little bit of everything and go back to what interests you if you want. Probably not for a first time trip, but I loved the tenement museum. Next time I go to NYC, I'm going to take The Sopranos tour, ha, ha.
Honored Contributor

Eataly is major fun be sure to go, try an off time as is it crowded.

If you are planning on WTC go on line and get tix now.

I wouldn't go to any of the Times SQ restaurants touristy and expensive.

As for the weather our weather has been so up and down I couldn't even begin to plan for tomorrow {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Statue of Liberty is also worth doing

Respected Contributor

I got to NYC at least 4-5 times a year, my son works and lives there. You never know what the weather is going to be like, so dress in layers and wear really good, comfortable walking shoes. There are many things to do in NYC and you've gotten some good suggestions. If you're staying in the Times Square area you can walk to alot of places from there since it's in mid-town. Some have mentioned Ground Zero and it is something to see but it is in Lower Manhattan I've been there about 4-5 times, the last time I went you needed timed tickets to enter, they were free but I got them ahead of time on line. Even though you're in Manhattan, you still have to plan what you want to do to utilize your time. It's spring break time, so it will be more crowded than usual. If you're going to Ground Zero, try to plan to spend the day in lower Manhattan, lots to see and do. If you want to see a Broadway show, I would also suggest getting those tickets ahead of time. There are many Broadway shows to see and I've seen alot. Your kids my really like The Lion King, I've seen it twice, and I'd go again, W*cked, Newsies, etc. There is nothing like seein a Broadway show. If you want to eat at a typical NYC restaurant, no a chain, try Becco's on West 46th Street, you need reservations. It's always crowded and it's not overly expensive, I go there a lot, especially before a Broadway show since it's close to the theaters. There are a few other nice restaurants in the Theatre area that aren't too expensive, The West End Grill, The Glass Tavern. Another one of my favorites, Maria Pia's is a really cute typical NYC restaurant that also offers a fixed price menu that's not too high. You need reservations at most of these places. These restaurants aren't far from the Times Square area and give you the feel of NYC. Have a great time!