Super Contributor

Re: O/T Ultimate Grammar Fail?

I work with someone who fancies himself quite the communicator. He frequently writes lengthy, rambling emails that include multiple mistakes. My favorite to date is when he said that he would not tolerate 'underminding'. To this day I have never managed to undermind him. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Zcat said:

I work with someone who fancies himself quite the communicator. He frequently writes lengthy, rambling emails that include multiple mistakes. My favorite to date is when he said that he would not tolerate 'underminding'. To this day I have never managed to undermind him. Smiley Happy

Classic!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 sharlee said:
On 5/18/2014 just bee said:

The real issue is with idioms. People repeat expressions they've heard and they repeat them incorrectly. Worse, they don't seem to understand the meaning of the original idiom because the one the person has chosen is inappropriate for the situation.

Boy, is this ever true! My pet peeve is "It's a doggy-dog world."

I see and hear that one a lot. I would actually like such a place! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Two of the best I've seen:

It cost a nominal egg.

and

So-and-so thought she looked so she-she.

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Kathleen said:

Two of the best I've seen:

It cost a nominal egg.

and

So-and-so thought she looked so she-she.

Has anyone noticed that ""conversate"" is becoming more common?

Respected Contributor

Context is essential in understanding the post the OP is referring to. There could even be some inside joke involved that the OP is unaware of as the response is actually responding to her sister's post.

Even if this was as straight forward as the OP posts, I hardly consider it to be the "ultimate grammar fail."

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 bonnielu said:

I am a retired school teacher. You can only imagine how I feel when I see poor grammar and spelling as well as poorly crafted sentences. I have given up even thinking about it.

It would seem it does not matter anymore. And the year I retired we were told not to teach grammar and spelling. It was more important to teach thinking skills.

With all the technology, not only is proper speech and writing skills down the tubes, communication and face to face socialization is on the way out as well.

"With all the technology, not only ARE proper speech and writing skills down the tubes, communication and face to face socialization ARE on the way out as well."

(Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to put the corrections in red.)

Trusted Contributor

Several years ago at one of my jobs, I was enlisted to conduct tours of our blood donation related medical facility for school kids. They always wrote me thank you notes which were hilarious to read & there were often spelling and grammar issues.

The interesting part was that the teacher would write a note too. In her notes, she always said something about the kids letters along with - "there notes are enclosed". If the teacher doesn't know the difference between there and their how are the kids supposed to learn what is correct?

Honored Contributor

That's funny but I have seen worse. I've written some atrocities myself. Most of the time it's my kindle 's fault. It has a mind of its own and if I don't review what I've written, I can indeed embarrass myself and confuse my readers. It's not a big deal. It's not like Facebook is a scholarly thesis. I think things change over time and in informal, casual settings, ideas are more important than spelling and grammar. I expect correct spelling and proper grammar in a resume....It's optional on post it note.

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Venezia said:
On 5/18/2014 bonnielu said:

I am a retired school teacher. You can only imagine how I feel when I see poor grammar and spelling as well as poorly crafted sentences. I have given up even thinking about it.

It would seem it does not matter anymore. And the year I retired we were told not to teach grammar and spelling. It was more important to teach thinking skills.

With all the technology, not only is proper speech and writing skills down the tubes, communication and face to face socialization is on the way out as well.

"With all the technology, not only ARE proper speech and writing skills down the tubes, communication and face to face socialization ARE on the way out as well."

(Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to put the corrections in red.)

I graduated from a university in 1982 with a double major, a minor, and a teaching credential. I completed my student teaching at a high school in my final year of the program and decided at that time that I would probably not pursue a career in teaching. I realized then why all my best English teachers were alcoholics.

And now they don't want teachers to use red ink. From my cold, dead hands...