Valued Contributor

I found this on a reply to a post on my Facebook page. Because the person who posted it is a friend of my sister's, it took all of my self control not to correct him. Someone wrote something he didn't quite understand, so he replied,

"Can you be more pacific?"

Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T Ultimate Grammar Fail?

Pathetic. Like nails on a chalkboard to me. But do you think this person was being funny or facetious and knows better?

Honored Contributor

Ack!

Trusted Contributor

I also cringe when people use ""prolly"" as if it were a real word!

Trusted Contributor

I might reply, "No, but I can be more Atlantic."

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 flickerbulb said:

I also cringe when people use ""prolly"" as if it were a real word!

That one drives me nuts! I used to work as a substitute at our local high school for many years. Imagine how I cringed when I read it in a TEACHER'S notes and lesson plan for me!

Valued Contributor

He did use it in lower case. Perhaps because he lives on the East Coast, the poor chap doesn't know there's any such thing as that other ocean. Wink

Trusted Contributor

grammerqueen,the word props... I know there are props for the stage,I know you can prop something up,but I wonder why or how the word started for giving someone props.In that usage where does it come from.? Is it short for some other word?

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 spud188 said:

grammerqueen,the word props... I know there are props for the stage,I know you can prop something up,but I wonder why or how the word started for giving someone props.In that usage where does it come from.? Is it short for some other word?

Referring back to my subbing days, this is when Urban Dictionary was always a minimized tab on my task bar so I could check slang terms that were unfamiliar. This one I do know, however. "Props" lends itself to respect or proper credit, and is a shortened form of the slang term "propers". Remember the song Respect, by Aretha Franklin and part of the lyrics are "give me my propers when I get home"?

Trusted Contributor

OK then I never knew that or remembered those lyrics.Thanks