Occasional Contributor

Re: O/T Tipping at Buffets - Question

I actually tip more for buffets. Back in my waitressing days, the buffet days were when I would come home exhausted from all the running. The waitress isn't necessarily going to the table as often, but keeping the buffet clean and stocked with plates & flatwear, reporting to the kitchen what food needs to be restocked, then running the food out is a lot of work --- Not to mention there's much more cleaning involved on those days.

Frequent Contributor

On 11/17/2014 DarkShadowsGirl said:

I actually tip more for buffets. Back in my waitressing days, the buffet days were when I would come home exhausted from all the running. The waitress isn't necessarily going to the table as often, but keeping the buffet clean and stocked with plates & flatwear, reporting to the kitchen what food needs to be restocked, then running the food out is a lot of work --- Not to mention there's much more cleaning involved on those days.

I see the kitchen staff maintaining the food here, and there are busboys (bussers? is that more gender neutral) to clean up the tables.

CeeCee

Frequent Contributor

On 11/16/2014 kachina624 said:
On 11/16/2014 CeeCee said:

Some addition info, I don't know if it matters or not. These are usually very nice buffets, $30-$40 per person.

They often have someone out cooking individual omelettes and someone else carving meat, like ham, roast beef and/or turkey. I almost feel like I should tip those people more than my "server".

Edited to add: We live in Calgary, Canada, and all servers are at least paid minimum wage, which is $10.25 CDN here, about $9.25 US. So there's no $1.25 an hour plus tips type of wages.

CeeCee

No wonder restaurants in Alberta are so expensive. I was there in September 2013, and we were astounded at the prices of meals and hotels. It was probably our last trip ever, although I love the place.

The cost of living in Alberta, especially Calgary and Edmonton, is some of the highest in the whole country. It's tough living here at times due to this.

CeeCee

Honored Contributor

Any buffets I go to whether higher end or not, the wait staff constantly is taking plates away and bringing drinks so they seem to do even more than non buffet wait staff. I tip 20% always. The tips are usually divided among other staff as well.

Respected Contributor

Of course we tip. I can not imagine going out to eat and NOT tipping!

Granted the only time we eat at a buffet is when we stay at an upscale hotel or resort and they offer a breakfast/brunch buffet and then we tip 20%.

I agree with PP buffet servers/bussers work their tails off! They work very hard for their $.

Respected Contributor

$2 per person MAX and that is only if they allow us to finish our meals without swiping the plate out from under us before we get the last bite..happens all the time.

We don't have any really high end buffets...thay are usually Asian owned combo food..$12 bucks a person max..

Respected Contributor

I have never even thought of not tipping at a buffet. We usually do the 20% like we do every where. I can see your point though, never looked at it that way.

Super Contributor

10% is standard for a buffet, we always tip 15%. The servers are always coming by and taking dirty plates and refilling drinks.

Super Contributor

No, I tip 10 %. Some buffet restaurants have soda machines as well, so the servers just take your drink order & clear away the plates.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely at least 10% at a buffet- could be more if my table had extra needs (like when my kids were young!).