Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T OK Something Bothers Me, So I'll Bring It Up

My big boy cat has just decided to cuddle up next to my right shoulder, he has some quirks even though we adopted him as a kitten. Both of our cats we adopted as kittens from a vet clinic that takes in the occasional strays. Our dog was adopted from the SPCA when she was a year and a half old. We love our pets dearly!
Valued Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Silver Lining said:
On 3/4/2015 In-x-s said:

Every dog and cat I have ever had has been a shelter adopted pet. I would never have any other kind. I don't judge those who choose to buy pups from breeders when they are after a specific dog. No more than I'd ever judge any person from having a child instead of adopting. There are many children of all ages in need of adoption, yet we'd never think of putting down those who decide to give birth to their own child instead.

To say the very least, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Well, of course I am. But there are choices, and I'm not going to think any less of you if you pick an apple instead of an orange, even though the oranges may go to waste.

Honored Contributor

Let's not hold the TV station responsible for any host's choice of pet, a bit extreme.

I think encouraging such personal stories is what gets the boards nuts as in the past. I wish the Mgt would dial back their push for the hosts to share so much family and personal lives.

Just my personal thoughts on this. The next thing is that Dan will be taken to task over his simple desire to get a puppy.

Trusted Contributor

First let me say that I give so much credit to anyone who volunteers at shelters. I, for one, am an animal lover and when my precious cat passed on, I must have cried every day for months. After a few months, I decided that I would go to a shelter. I walked in and just couldn't stay, seeing all those little faces, I just began to cry and left. I just couldn't pick one and think about the others that were there. Ever since then, I just can't bring myself to go to a shelter as I am to emotional when it comes to seeing those precious, sad faces. It may sound silly to some of you but that's just me. I can't even watch those commercials on TV when they advertise adopting a pet, I just cry and have to change the channel. I do have 2 purebred Persian cats and they are so loving and precious, they are my loving children. Years ago my sister did adopt a very sweet young dog from a shelter, they only had him for a few months, he never showed any signs of being sick and then one day when her and her husband came home they found that he had passed on, just laying there on the floor. We all cried because we just couldn't believe it. They never got another animal because my sister said she could never go through that heartache again. Growing up my nephew always wanted a dog but my sister would never let him have one. My heart broke for him. Well, now he's grown has his own apartment and once he was settled in, the first thing he did was go to the local shelter, he looked at the dogs and this one had the saddest face and just followed him with his eyes and he knew that was his dog. The dog is a Pit/Great Dane mix and is the sweetest, friendliest dog anyone could ask for. He still follows my nephews every move and it does my heart good to see that he finally now has his best friend, who loves him unconditionally just as much as my nephew loves him. That's our fur babies, they give unconditional love no matter where they come from. God bless every one of you and your beloved pet and I'm so happy for Dan and his new fur baby. Of course, I cried when I read his story. I'm just an emotional mess when it comes to animals.
Super Contributor

I will always get a shelter/rescue pup! My first dog though was a pure bred poodle and she was such a sweetheart but she had a heart issue and died young. My last 2 have been rescue pups and they have been the best! The one I still have is almost 6 and just as frisky and mischievous as the day I picked her up! She is a whippet mixed with a jack russell and is such a love bug. Glad I have her Smiley Happy

Contributor

I agree that adopting animals is a great option but do need to bring up the allergy issue. For me and probably many others, some breeds set us off more than others. I have learned I do best with a non-shedder so I have to stick with what I know I can live with. That being said, finding a non-shedding dog is nearly impossible at shelters so I have had to use a breeder. I carefully picked one who only breeds one litter from time to time and keeps her Mom and Dad dog in the house as part of the family. I would never use a puppy mil or cruel breeder in any way.

Respected Contributor

When my 2 dogs died within a week of each other in 2008. 1 was 16 and just old, the other 10 and sick, I was so heartbroken. People told me to go to Shelters and I did look at the Shelter Dogs but I wanted a Sheltie and a Puppy because I had so many old dogs I lost 1 in 2004, 1 in 2006 then the 2 in 2008 I did not want to go through the loss so quickly. I found myself the Puppy who I just knew was meant for me and she is the love of my life. Last year I adopted a Sheltie from a rescue. He had been shuffled from home to home but he fits nicely in my home. So I have both. Don't knock those who want a Puppy sometimes a person needs a puppy emotionally. I love my Dogs very much. The Puppies need homes too or they risk becoming Shelter Dogs. We need to work on Spade and Neuter. I think I do my part, I have taken dogs from people who did not want them and several Birds too. I have 3 rescue Birds right now and 1 that I bought myself.

Super Contributor

On 3/4/2015 makeup addict said: some of the rescue groups make it very hard to adopt a pet as well. I looked online when my parents were looking for a new dog. Some groups not only wanted a home check, but references and you couldnt meet the dog you wanted. The rescue group decided for you if the dog you selected was for you. .?? Huh? That was too extreme in my opinion.

We are going through the same thing in my home.I recently had to fill out an application to adopt from a rescue 10 pages long with such stupid questions.Finally she called me and asked me why i don't have a fenced yard?I replied no but i have a leach.I was so turned off by her that i hung up on her.I have always had shelter dogs but around me the shelters only have cats.Where are the dogs??????/I read many rescue groups go into shelters and take the younger animals.I don't know how true that is but i'm guessing yes.So i'm looking into breeders idk call me what you want.

Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't allowed to adopt from a shelter. We don't have a fenced yard.

I volunteered to work there, too, but the people who are regulars were very cliquish and unfriendly. It was a strange atmosphere.

I've read that shelters are actually importing dogs from overseas to sell. IDK if that is true, but I know when they raid puppy mills, rescue organizations go in and get the dogs and then sell them --- including the offspring of vicious dogs who have had to be euthanized. It's very dangerous. If you have small children, you need to make sure that the dog or puppy you bring into the home has a good temperament and won't snap.

Funny, but my babies don't seem to mind. Of course, they wouldn't, not from their lofty perch on our bed!!!! ROTTEN! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

I didn't get ours from a rescue per se; but all of mine are retired adults that I got direct from breeders. They needed a home, to be spayed, and dental work.

Same thing as rescuing, I just by-passed the organizations.......

Respected Contributor

Well......since this was posted in Beauty Banter, I think Dan's new puppy is BEAUTIFUL!!

I guess I just wish that once in a while something nice could happen that wouldn't have to have some sort of cause, political or moral view thrown on top of it!! People need to be able to do what they wish and what works for THEIR life. I always get the feeling that those who got their dog/cat at a shelter somehow feel morally superior to those who choose another option.