Contributor

Re: O/T Need a new washing machine....after 3 years..argghhhh, any recs?

Just an FYI...Whirlpool bought Maytag more than 5 years ago. The Maytag brand is now made by Whirlpool and to Whirlpool specs, they also produce Amana and others. Kenmore was made by Whirlpool for a long time but Kenmore can be made by whatever company provides the best bid for a particular model. There is NO Kenmore company. You can check all the Kenmore manufacturers on the web. How do I know? My hubby was an appliance repair man Smile

Occasional Contributor

I would check to see if NH has an implied warranty law. Maine residents are protected for

four years against faulty merchandise. You might be able to save some money!

Super Contributor

I can tell you what not to buy a Whirlpool Cabrio, that was the worst washing machine I have ever owned it is a piece of junk. I know that Maytag and Kenmore have a similar model of a washing machine. This is the machine without an agitator with a lid lock. It got to the point I was taking the machine apart because it was not working. There is a design flaw in the control board of the machine. After all of the problems with this washing machine I will never buy anything made by Whirlpool. The Cabrio lasted 3 years. I ended up with a GE top loader washing machine that has been so much better. In my opinion if you can find a basic washing machine without all the bells and whistles you are better off.

Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Tallgal said:

I can tell you what not to buy a Whirlpool Cabrio, that was the worst washing machine I have ever owned it is a piece of junk. I know that Maytag and Kenmore have a similar model of a washing machine. This is the machine without an agitator with a lid lock. It got to the point I was taking the machine apart because it was not working. There is a design flaw in the control board of the machine. After all of the problems with this washing machine I will never buy anything made by Whirlpool. The Cabrio lasted 3 years. I ended up with a GE top loader washing machine that has been so much better. In my opinion if you can find a basic washing machine without all the bells and whistles you are better off.

Exactly on the the similar problems because made by the same company. So far GE still makes all its own washers. And yes,...simpler is often the much better choice.

Respected Contributor

I would stick with a top loader; they seem to be more problem free over time.

Contributor

Sorry, I have to vote for a front loader. Mine is s Fridgidaire washer and dryer that I have had for about eight years. Not one problem. Been through one move. I will never go back to a top loader ( may consider one with no agitator).

I read somewhere the average life of an appliance such as a washer is now only about 10 years.

I am currently staying with my mother for a month to help her out. She has an old top loader with agitator. It seems almost archaic to me, but I must use it.

Front loaders use so much less water and are more gentle to clothes, IMHO.

You must always keep door open on a front loader to avoid odors.

Respected Contributor

There's an article in this month's Good Housekeeping comparing washing machines, it might help you decide.

I have a front load washer/dryer combo and I like them but when I had to get the dryer repaired I had to wait two days for someone to come from Richmond, VA, I live in the Fairfax, VA area and it's about 2 hours from Richomond. The reason I couldn't get a local repair man is that I have Samsung brand and nobody in the DC Metro area can work on them, you have to go through the company. I'll never buy anything from Samsung again because of that. If I had a bought a major brand I could've have the dryer fixed the same day.