Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T Cell Phone Safety-Important-Please Read

On 2/28/2014 voyager1980 said:

Old 2006 email ""forward this"" message: SNOPES (http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pintheft.asp) & HOAX SLAYER (http://www.hoax-slayer.com/stolen-cell-phone-pin-text-message-warning.shtml)

see post#6

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

Even if the actual message is a hoax being careful in always a good idea.

I have become more and more careful and even signed up for one of those identify theft services. Cost a bit but peace of mind goes a long way.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/28/2014 Seattlegirl98026 said: Gosh, regarding lacey1's tracker app, I don't think I would want my husband to receive texts regarding my exact location at all times! That would be a little too much for me....but to each their own. Smiley Happy

I agree that some people may not want their spouse to know their location, (for whatever reason). For us, it works out very well. If one of us did have an accident or medical emergency and could not use the phone-well, you can imagine how invaluable it could be. It's also peace of mind if you have kids, you know when they get home from school, get to their jobs, etc. If there was a trust issue, the app could easily be turned off. So, it's more for people that trust each other and feel better knowing that a loved one has arrived safely at their destination.

Valued Contributor

Well, as I said in my previous post, lacey1, to each their own! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

On 2/28/2014 Lowry83 said:
On 2/28/2014 lacey1 said:

Just one thing to consider. I have family members listed as DH, son, etc. The reason is that in the case of emergency, ambulance personnel will check your phone for next of kin. . . .

I don't know how widespread this idea is, but I read somewhere that in addition to listings you may want to show as Home, Daughter, etc. (or something more secure), you should also have a listing called "ICE" which emergency responders are trained to recognize as In Case of Emergency. That should be the contact info for your first choice person.

I also have the ICE contacts in my system. My phone has a pass code lock, so I have them on a slip of paper tucked in the case behind the phone. It's possible no one will find them there, but they can't get them with the pass lock and my company requires me to passcode lock the phone if I have office email on it, which I do. They're also on paper in my wallet.

Respected Contributor

On 2/28/2014 Lowry83 said:
On 2/28/2014 redtabby said: I do not believe the story, atm withdrawals have daily limits systemwide and tellers still ask for ids when making withdrawals in person.

I don't know whether to believe the story. It is possible that all they had in the account was the amount that could be withdrawn in one day at the ATM. The story says nothing about the thief seeing a teller in person.

In any event, the story is a good reminder to be careful with our financial and personal contact information.

Lowry83, I bolded and totally agree with everything you said. A really scary thing happened to me many years ago. My purse was stolen from work. The thief went straight to the address on my driver's license and was going to use my key to go in and steal everything. My husband and I had just moved into a new home and the lock on the apartment door had been changed. The thief could see it was empty. He didn't just leave it at that, though - this part is unbelievable. He went to the apartment complex office and told them he was a friend of mine (name on driver's license), didn't know I had moved, and asked for my new address. He knew he had my keyring and figured he still had time to go over there then or another day. They wouldn't give them my new address. He apparently tossed my license and a few days later some kids coming home from school found it and they or their parents took it to the apartment manager who then called me.

If a thief was that resourceful way back then, I shudder to think how they can use modern technology to commit more sophisticated crimes.