Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nutrisystem 5-day jump-start walkthrough!!

On 1/21/2014 luv2rd09 said: I started Nutrisystem last summer with two of the 5 day kits purchased at Walmart. I didn't really think five days was sufficient time to know if the program would work for me. The portion size is a little scary but I was amazed that I didn't feel hungry. After completing ten days, I decided to take the plunge and ordered but with the frozen foods instead of all "shelf" food. Not all of the foods hit a homerun with me, but I have found a number of foods that I like which I order each month. Since last July, I have lost 48 pounds. I agree that it is expensive, but I had gained quite a bit of weight during chemo (steroids and a mindset that I was entitled to eat what I wanted because I had cancer) which I could not lose. After surviving cancer, I value my health more than ever so that increases my commitment to losing weight. The "big secret" to Nutrisystem is portion control and ingredients. Protein shows up in ample supply in most of the items...including desserts. That definitely helps you feel satisfied. Hope this helps...

Soy is the major protein source in Nutrisystem foods- I'd check with my dr to see if that's okay. I'd also review the ingredients with him/her, since much of the food is processed.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/22/2014 Smurfette said:

Good luck! I tried NS back in 2008 and the food was so chemicalized tasting I sent it all back. Perhaps it is better now...

That's about when I went on Nutrisystem- I liked a good amount of the foods initially, but as the weeks went on I ordered less and less variety. Then one or two of the things I did like they discontinued! The portions were really really small- I kept reminding myself that we eat too big portions in this country. But when I told my very health conscious size 6 bff what I ate for a meal she said that wouldn't be enough for her!! I don't see it as a way for life; yes, I did put the weight back on. But there's got to be better way than eating overly processed food from a box!

Super Contributor

Good luck.

I must have really low standards for food, because I tried Nutrisystem last year, and didn't think it was all that bad. No it's not 5 (or probably even 3) star restaurant cuisine, but it's on par with lean cuisine, etc. The things I didn't like are things I generally don't like anyway (like the beef stew and pot roast). I thought the breakfasts and lunches (execpt pea soup) were really good, and the dinners, were okay - with the italian items being much better than okay.

Like the other poster, there is limited variety so it's easy to burn out.

I did lose 45 lbs, and after a three month hiatus (where I used the tools - portion control, eating small meals etc) to maintain my weight over the holidays, I am back on it in earnest. I am creating more of my own variety by eating nutrisystem about half the time, and supplementing with my own choices and/or lean cuisine, or frozen WW entres.

Michele

Contributor

Y'all listen...no one responded at the time so I never posted anything lol

Honestly, the food was REALLY GOOD!!! The only thing I didn't like was the lasagna but that is only because it had mushrooms and I had to pick them out. The food completely satisfied me, along with my own fruits and veggies, and I drank lots of water...I wasn't even able to eat all the NS food during the week and I had some left over.

As for exercise I did pilates and I walked a couple days.

I weighed myself at the same time every morning and no joke..I lost a pound a day. 5 pounds in 5 days...just like they say!!!

I'm serious...there were no gross dehydrated meat patties to bring to life lol Everything really tasted great. There is also a $5 coupon to make the kit under $40 an it really is a great jump start. I was thinking of either doing this again or trying the Special K 2 week thing. Has anyone done that?