Super Contributor

New Haven, CT . . . travel tips needed.

DH and I are going to a football game at Yale next weekend. We'd like to stay at a hotel Friday to Sunday night to avoid rushing around on Saturday for the game. We need some suggestions of nice hotels near Yale and possibly other things to do in New Haven or the surrounding area on Sunday. Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: New Haven, CT . . . travel tips needed.

IMO if it was me I wouldn't stay in New Haven,

Mystic is nice for sunday, not that far. Take 95N and it will get you there. You might want to just drive down there and get a hotel Sat night. Reservations ahead of time of course. Some nice hotels around Mystic and safer.

Have fun.

Highlighted
Contributor

IMHO Mystic is a good hour or more drive away from New Haven. If you want to stay right in the heart of New Haven near Yale there is the Omni Hotel. It is a very nice place, but somewhat pricey. About 15 minutes south of New Haven is Milford, CT and there are chain places such as Red Roof Inn, Hampton Inn, Howard Johnson Motor Lodge, etc. Milford is a small coastal city, with a beautiful green, nice shopping and many restaurants.

Have a great trip!

Occasional Contributor

Try the Omni Hotel in New Haven. Must go to Modern Pizza on State Street! Mystic is nice, there is a Wine Trail in CT that is not far from New Haven, Google for more info. South Norwalk (SoNo) is nice, Norwalk Aquarium is there, restaurants. Will add more if I can think.

Added: I definitely second Milford for shopping and restaurants right around their green. Duck Pond is beautiful right in the center.

Don't stay too far from New Haven for the day of the game...traffic on I-95 can get heavy!

Have fun!!! Supposed to be a beautiful weekend up here!!

Super Contributor

To BibLady: I think the Omni might be out of our price range. The Hyatt Place Milford got good reviews. How far is that from the campus? Wonder if could take a taxi from the hotel to the game ??

Respected Contributor

If the football games are like anything in Tuscaloosa, AL (University of Alabama), you better hop on reservations today. Usually hotels require a two night stay, the prices are steep, and reservations are made months in advance.As far as cabs to the stadium, they have city streets blocked off close to the stadium and it is pedestrian walking only. Have a great time!!!

Trusted Contributor

I am from Connecticut. Do not go out in New Haven at night. For that matter, the daytime is iffy ... Stay in Branford or West Haven and drive into the city. Do not leave valuables in your car where they can be seen. Don't stay in Mystic - too far away - but it certainly is safer.

Occasional Contributor

Pepe's Pizza is a must!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what area of Milford that Hyatt is located in but I'd figure 25 minutes minimum getting to as close to the stadium as a taxi could get you. The stadium is in a different part of New Haven than the college campus.

Frequent Contributor

Looking for outstanding vegetarian food, go to Claire's. It is right on the corner of the Green.

Atticus Bookstore is another must go to.