Trusted Contributor

I have a question.

I would like to try a completely NEUTRAL makeup look. I just want to see if it might be an alternative for me.

I have medium skin, medium brown hair and blue eyes. I've watched YouTube, read articles, etc., but I most rely the most from suggestions from my friends here on this board.

Help me pull together a look that doesn't break the budget, I can't seem to do it.

Honored Contributor

Finding a foundation and/or powder that is the same color as your neck is first and foremost the best thing to do.

If you don't need shadow to contour your eyes, maybe just a spec of a neutral shadow and mascara.

Muted blushes, that don't scream pink give just a hint of color to your cheeks and add shape to your face.

Nude lipstick. A must for me. If your special someone kisses you right smack on the lips, it's not all over the place and looking scary.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

One thing you have to remember is the products that you purchase last a long, long time. Laura Mercier has a new foundation that is like a second skin. It's long lasting & oil free. Worth the investment. It ends in Fluide (can't remember the full name). Free shipping on her website with any purchase.

Pick up a light shade of eye shadow like a vanilla or very, very pale gray at the drugstore along with mascara. The light shadow will open and brighten the eye area. You can actually use your lipstick as blush if you wish. Revlon & L'Oreal have many shades to choose from. Burt Bees Lip shimmers are also very nice.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor
I tried it for a number of years because I didn't want to look "made up". One day I went to a new salon and the owner had just hired a cosmologists who had nothing better to do, so she asked me if I wanted to play....well, it was a revelation. I did not realize how washed out I looked. She gave me neutral colors except for two things. I had been wearing brown eye liner because once again, I didn't want to look made up. Switching to navy or gray made my eyes pop. There are certain shades of green liner that looks phenomenal with soft brown shadow-and it's still understated. She brightened up my blush: the neutral color I had been using did nothing for me. Nude/neutral lips do nothing for me either. I guess the lesson I learned is not all neutrals are becoming to me. You would think they would be because of the party line "they are neutral and everybody can wear these". Have you thought about possibly going to a department store for a complimentary make over? It's just an idea-I don't even know if they do them anymore. I have been buying from the Q for years. Poodlepet
Respected Contributor
I tried it for a number of years because I didn't want to look "made up". One day I went to a new salon and the owner had just hired a cosmologists who had nothing better to do, so she asked me if I wanted to play....well, it was a revelation. I did not realize how washed out I looked. She gave me neutral colors except for two things. I had been wearing brown eye liner because once again, I didn't want to look made up. Switching to navy or gray made my eyes pop. There are certain shades of green liner that looks phenomenal with soft brown shadow-and it's still understated. She brightened up my blush: the neutral color I had been using did nothing for me. Nude/neutral lips do nothing for me either. I guess the lesson I learned is not all neutrals are becoming to me. You would think they would be because of the party line "they are neutral and everybody can wear these". Have you thought about possibly going to a department store for a complimentary make over? It's just an idea-I don't even know if they do them anymore. I have been buying from the Q for years. Poodlepet
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor
Sorry about that...I don't know why its in triplicate. Poodlepet
Frequent Contributor

Go to a Clinique counter and have one of the reps make you up. They have a wide selection of neutral shades (they call it "nude") in everything -- eye, cheek and lip color. Not too expensive and the quality is great.

Honored Contributor

Check out the IT Cosmetics Eyeshadow Trio, in Nude. There's not a lot of color to it, but it makes your eyes look better than with no shadow at all. If you use eyeliner, try the tightlining method. It will give you some definition without looking like Cleopatra. I think lipstick is the hardest thing to choose when going neutral. Some nude shades look downright horrible. Take the time to find a nice shade for you.

Respected Contributor

Physician's Formula has a whole naked line of subtly colored make-up.