Respected Contributor

Naturally "wavy" hair - What brings out your curls the best?

As I age my hiar is really getting wavy, it the back it's pretty tight waves/curls but sides are very loose waves.

It's time to embrace this a little, before I go buying a bunch of stuff want to know what styling products help encourage your waves/curls the best? What would you recommend?

Thank you!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Naturally "wavy" hair - What brings out your curls the best?

Mousse.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl 

My hair has some natural wave to it but I blow it out straight.  So I don't actually use products for wavy curly hair, but, everything I've tried from this line, and it's been several products, has been top shelf.  And if you enjoy fragrance, it's amazing!  I know they have products like you're looking for.  I get it from Sephora.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl I just discovered a couple of years ago that my hair had become wavy.  It was always pretty straight but it wasn't until the pandemic when I started air drying sometimes that I realized how much wave I had developed.

That started a long journey of watching videos, reading articles and trying every type of product to see what worked.  I have a cabinet full of products that I don't like!  Because my hair is fine, a lot of products were either too heavy or made my hair crunchy or stringy, which I hate.  

I finally found something that I love.  It gives my waves definition but keeps them soft.  It is the Bumble and Bumble Surf Styling Leave In.  I use it all over except on my roots.  For my roots I really like Healthy Sexy Hair Fresh Hair Air Dry Styling Mousse which is a foam so it's not as sticky as a typical mousse but it gives some volume.

If you are lucky enough to have thick hair, you'll probably have a much easier time finding products you like.  There are a lot of YouTube videos on curly/wavy hair trying different products.  If you have fine hair like me, I'd highly recommend the two products I use.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@SandGirl 

My hair has some natural wave to it but I blow it out straight.  So I don't actually use products for wavy curly hair, but, everything I've tried from this line, and it's been several products, has been top shelf.  And if you enjoy fragrance, it's amazing!  I know they have products like you're looking for.  I get it from Sephora.  

@monicakm   that is normally what I do but I'm want to "try" it curly maybe just while I'm at home to start.

What products? You didnt' mention a name?

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl - I'm with you. I wear mine both ways, curly/wavy most often, but if I'm speaking in front of people or being filmed I usually blow it out straight. Doing that is harder for me because I'm not great at it and I don't do it every day. 

So I'm a WEN girl. After cleansing I use styling cream and mousse. I scrunch and go!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom   Thank you

I use Wen as well but I admit I sorta dabble but ALWAYS have Wen on hand and ALWAYS use it as my "conditioner" and "leave in".  I use the Bella Spirit treatment cream or whatever it's called but his moouse makes my hair frizzy I have tried a little, a lot and inbeween, I have tried it all diff. ways and it always makes my hair fuzzy so I finally gave up trying his mousse.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl 

I'm sorry.  I'm trying to do too much today.  It's Moroccanoil (that's the name of the brand)

What it is: An argan-oil-infused styling and conditioning product for all curl types that activates and defines curls while fighting frizz.

They have a mini size for $16.  This is not one of their products I use so I can't offer any first hand experience.

Moroccanoil - Curl Defining Cream 8.5 oz/ 250 mL

Respected Contributor

i use Sexy Curly Hair "Light Control"  my hair is long down to bra band -  i use a maybe nickle size of it along with a bit of Shea Organics leave in.  only the length, not above cheekbone level.

sometimes i mix in John Frieda Surf spray but used alone it makes my hair too crunchy.

air dry or low heat blow dry - scrunching as i go

and for coaxing waves, long layers help  a lot, my hair is all one length due to  crummy haircut. as soon as i get it long enough i'll have more layers put in.

Honored Contributor

A perm.  Seriously, for my hair, it's the best option.  Mine has just enough wave that something must be done with it and I don't want to fight with it on a daily basis.  Besides the perm, I mostly avoid sulfates (to save my color), silicones, and drying alcohols.  There are alcohols that aren't drying like Cetearyl alcohol.  Basically, I follow a modified Curly Girl method. 

For styling, I use Tweak'd Chiuri Butter styling cream and then a mixture of Curls Goddess Curls gel and Ouidad Advanced Climate Control gel. The Advanced Climate Control gel is good for frizz especially in our high humidity, but by itself leaves the hair crunchy, so I mix it with another gel.

I let it air dry whatever time I have even if it's just while I apply makeup.  Then I spray a little Moremo Hair Lifter for a little lift at the crown before drying with a diffuser.  I like a bowl-shaped diffuser that has posts inside the bowl and holes at the ends of the posts.  I place the posts against my scalp and then push upwards for lift and the air coming out dries my hair at the scalp which is the most important for me.  My favorite is the Black Orchid diffuser.