Honored Contributor

Love nail polish I have my nails done every two weeks, I have been using Vinyux since it first came out, during the Summer I used a pale pink and now I am using greys and all have a 1/2 top coat of a great sparkle polish from Sephora

http://www.sephora.com/transformers-top-coats-P382101?skuId=1546449

ETA the sparkle seals my polish and holds the color amazingly

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Yes I buy and use the base/top coat clear on my nails before I polish- it helps protect the nails from staining and evens out the ridges of my nail surface. After I polish my nails I apply 1 -2 coats of clear on top coat for strength. Some of my Glitter polish says to use as a top coat and seems to work pretty good. I probably get a good week before having to polish again.

I will try the foil trick, I remove my nail polish the night before, polish the next day. Otherwise it could be a long process. I have heard ladies using chap stick on skin around nails to make the oops easier to clean, I have to try that too.

Good luck with the pens, I have not tried them yet, I bought some decals , haven't tried them yet either. I try to look for ideas on youtube. Let us know how they work for you.

Honored Contributor

Cocktail Party Drama by Gelish on fingernails.

Frequent Contributor
On 10/21/2014 snapdragons said:

Yes I buy and use the base/top coat clear on my nails before I polish- it helps protect the nails from staining and evens out the ridges of my nail surface. After I polish my nails I apply 1 -2 coats of clear on top coat for strength. Some of my Glitter polish says to use as a top coat and seems to work pretty good. I probably get a good week before having to polish again.

I will try the foil trick, I remove my nail polish the night before, polish the next day. Otherwise it could be a long process. I have heard ladies using chap stick on skin around nails to make the oops easier to clean, I have to try that too.

Good luck with the pens, I have not tried them yet, I bought some decals , haven't tried them yet either. I try to look for ideas on youtube. Let us know how they work for you.

Thanks for this tip. I may give it a try. I plan to also try the Elmer's glue trick that I read about elsewhere. You "paint" the glue on the skin around your nail, let it dry, then polish your nails. Then you can just peel away the mistakes that get on your skin. I haven't tried it yet but plan to. With the exception of clear base/top coats, I haven't polished my own nails in a long time. I've been using Incoco nail polish strips. They are great, but I'd love to be able to polish my own nails and have them look good.

Super Contributor
On 10/17/2014 Remee said:

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Is no one wearing pink for us ???

Of course someone is!

Super Contributor
On 10/19/2014 Vamp said:

Just switched out my polish to Zoya Stacy yesterday:

Not sure how this would look with my very fair skin tone, but I love it and think I have to at least try it! I don't do well with reds but this could work for the fall right through the holidays!

Valued Contributor
On 10/21/2014 reese2 said:
On 10/19/2014 Vamp said:

Just switched out my polish to Zoya Stacy yesterday:

Not sure how this would look with my very fair skin tone, but I love it and think I have to at least try it! I don't do well with reds but this could work for the fall right through the holidays!

I'm wearing Masquerade, a shellac shade, that looks just like your Zoya Stacy.

Honored Contributor

I tried to post a picture of my color and it came out ginormous. LOL

Trusted Contributor
On 10/21/2014 reese2 said:
On 10/17/2014 Remee said:

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Is no one wearing pink for us ???

Of course someone is!

This is my favorite Essie polish for my fingernails! Pink Glove Service is also great -- a bit more sheer than Sugar Daddy.

Honored Contributor
On 10/20/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:
On 10/20/2014 lulu2 said:

Thanks ladies for all the responses.

I've seen some lovely shades, particularly the Zoya polishes. I'll have to check my stash to see if I have any of them. When they run their specials I usually order, then do not remember what I purchased.

I will try Elmer's glue as a base for my glitter polishes.

Hi lulu, two of my "hints" -- OPI "Glitter Off" Base Coat, a commercial version of the Elmer's Glue, I suspect. And, I too forget what I have, so long ago, I started keeping a spread sheet on my computer of the polish colors I own under a heading for each brand. As soon as I buy or order a color, I add it to the spread sheet and this helps me not duplicate. It's also so much fun when I discover, "Yep, I already have that one!"

Lola, I just ordered the OPI base coat from eBay. ($7 and free shipping seemed reasonable abd saved me a trip to find it)

I really should do a spread sheet; I'm just afraid I'll be embarrassed when I see the actual number of polishes I have!

Hope you are well.