Super Contributor

Yes removing glitter polishes is very difficult. Make sure you use a clear base coat, I think it helps keeping nails from being stained also. I buy the round cotton makeup pads from family dollar, I think about a dollar for a big pack, and wet that pad with remover and apply and set the pad on your nail for a few minutes, then wipe. I can usually get all the glitter off quickly.

It is still a chore to remove but I love glitter.

Valued Contributor
On 10/20/2014 snapdragons said:

Wow, I am a nail polish addict LOL !!! I do not wear it for the most part in the summer because of all the gardening, but as soon as fall hits- game on! I just purchased and applied OPI Blasted Black and OPI I found a Pot of gold. I applied 1 coat of clear 1st, then 2 coats of gold followed by the Blasted Black which is a crackle polish and the clear top coat.

It looks like gold veins thru the black, I watched a you tube video where the girl used neon polish on her nails and then blasted black top coats, neat effect. A lot of ideas on youtube!

Is there any way to post a picture, it sounds lovely?

Valued Contributor

I’m not off the glitter now that I have had such good help on how to get it off. Thanks all!

Super Contributor

Woodyend, I don't know how to post pics yet, but will learn now that I am indoors for the winter. I like to do different techniques on my nails. Another cool polish is sally hansens Magnetic nail polishes! You apply 1 clear base coat, 1 coat on all the nails and then another thick coat one at a time and the cap has a magnet that you hold over the nail and it makes wavy stripes.

Valued Contributor

Okay about this clear base coat, why do you put it on first and not last? Also do you need to have one coat of polish, or do you let it dry and put on two?

Honored Contributor
I was in Walgreens this evening and as usual I was checking out the nail polish over by the Essie and the Sally Hansen rack. They have a book attached to the shelf with pages and pages of beautiful nail designs! Minimal explanation but they do tell you the products that are used. I did end up buying two of the pens. Wish me luck with the free hand. I need to start watching the YouTube demos. The pictures were pretty inspiring
Trusted Contributor
On 10/17/2014 dancing cricket said:

Tweet You Later by OPI (Sephora by OPI). It's mauve pink.

I do my nails weekly (or so depending on the polish), but I've fallen into a rut of nail polish color choices recently.

Are you guys that much more coordinated than I am, or is there a trick to keeping it off your cuticles and sides along the nail bed?

Now that I'm retired, I've re-discovered nail polish after maybe 25 years of not wearing it. The biggest trick to keeping it off your cuticles and sides along the nail bed is practice. That and "cleaning up" with a brush or pointed cotton swab. 100% acetone works the best. For me a cheap brush (the acetone is rough on the brush) with a thin edge and fairly stiff bristles works the best. Another major factor is the polish formula.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/20/2014 woodyend said:

I’m not off the glitter now that I have had such good help on how to get it off. Thanks all!

As a total polish addict who changes colors pretty much daily and loves glitter, I'm going to respond here with some of my thoughts and experiences. I'll try to be as brief and to the point as I can. Feel free to ask questions.

First, regarding the aluminum foil method...it's amazing! I've found that the small cotton balls are the perfect size to wrap around the nail with a square of aluminum foil. I just do one hand at a time and let it sit a few minutes while I'm watching tv. 100% acetone works the best/fastest, but it is extremely drying, so you'll want to make some time to moisturize your nails and cuticles.

I just bought a bottle of Elmer's to try as a base coat. My understanding is that it's not designed for long term wear...maybe 1-2 days. Makes sense because getting your hands in water would dissolve the glue at the edges.

Regarding regular base coat...it's main purpose is to help the polish adhere to the nail and to reduce staining. There are polishes that are designed to be used as both base and top coat. Or you can buy separate ones for each.

Regarding the "stringy" nail polish...sounds like it might be an old bottle where some of the solvent has evaporated. You can try adding polish thinner (NOT remover) a couple of drops at a time to get it back to a normal consistency.

Respected Contributor
On 10/17/2014 moongirl said:

Man, that song goes way back . Still wearing I'm not really a waitress~ an old favorite like the song.

moongirl

I have that color and use it often on my toes in the winter lol

Respected Contributor
On 10/17/2014 BOYINTX said:

every week for my nails. If im wearing my real diamonds it is always OPI Slippers, and if i wear my paste it is A line called Lippman in a Sheer Oyster.

I wore more deeps in my 60 's and enjoyed but I feel free with paler shades

Is the hairdresser posting again?