Honored Contributor

I have a question. My nails are strong and I keep them mid length. When one breaks I cut them and redo them to the same length.

The other night I was cutting onions when I hit my nail. The cut went down almost into the nail bed. After dinner I took my polish off, got the clippers,  and cut the others down. I put one coat of clear on.

I have a busy two days coming up. My nails haven't been this short in a really long time!  Can I wear a light color, like a neutral or pink, or should I just stay with my clear for now?  

Trusted Contributor

Hi @beach-mom .

Since Covid I have kept my nails very short. Haven't been back to my nail salon yet. Just because your nails are short, doesn't, IMO, mean that you can't wear a bright color or any color for that matter. My nails are OPI Big Apple Red. Wear what YOU like and enjoy it. No rules. Only your own.

Yikes about cutting a nail doing onions. Been there and done that. Not fun.Woman Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom  Yes, of course wear a pink or neutral, even a bright.  There's no rules. Or you could wear black polish which looks best on very short nails.

Just glad you didn't harm yourself more with that kitchen incident!

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

Hi @beach-mom .

Since Covid I have kept my nails very short. Haven't been back to my nail salon yet. Just because your nails are short, doesn't, IMO, mean that you can't wear a bright color or any color for that matter. My nails are OPI Big Apple Red. Wear what YOU like and enjoy it. No rules. Only your own.

Yikes about cutting a nail doing onions. Been there and done that. Not fun.Woman Frustrated

Thanks @Queen of shop! I actually thought about doing Big Apple Red on my toes last week, but went with OPI Red-y for the Holidays. They're both pretty reds. I do use them on my fingers too, but just finished with the red-orange OPI She's a Bad Muffuletta. I'll probably go with a lighter color tomorrow, but thanks to you I'll be confident I can wear a COLOR!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@beach-mom  Yes, of course wear a pink or neutral, even a bright.  There's no rules. Or you could wear black polish which looks best on very short nails.

Just glad you didn't harm yourself more with that kitchen incident!

Thanks @decaf! Yes, I'm glad I didn't cut myself more- although I have done that too once or twice!  Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

Wear whatever color you would have worn if you hadn't had to cut off your nails. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, by all means wear you favorite colors no matter the length of your nails!  I am the same way --- when one of my nails break, I always cut the others off so they are all uniform.  I think it looks messy when some nails are long and some are short.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom  even years ago when I had acrylics, I kept my nails short and used the dark reddish brown polishes I like best.  Just had my toes down with that color this week.  I have horrid finger nails which I now keep light because there's not a polish that doesn't chip the same day it's applied.  Exact color doesn't matter for what I need.

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom 

Be careful!!  Don't chop off your finger.  Watch that blade.  

Honored Contributor

You can wear whatever color you like !!! many women keep their nails very short and still wear very dark colors.