Valued Contributor

Juperier, I forgot to say that really like the Golden Enchantment picture. I will also look for that when I get to Ulta. Thanks again for your help.

Trusted Contributor

@gtx I buy ALL my polish and pretty much everything else online. My polish purchases these days are all indies. That said it may be a bit of a challenge to find a bottle of OPI Extravagance. I'm not seeing it on any of the OPI authorized seller websites. There are other sites that do show it as available, and I'm sure most, if not all, of them are selling legit product. But they are also sites I'm not personally familiar with and OPI is definitely a brand where there are bootleg products available.

I thought Zoya Aurora might be close. But I found this blog with LOTS of comparisons. If you keep scrolling down you'll get to the comparison of Extravagance with Aurora and also Blaze. Looks like Extravagance is sort of in the middle. If one of the Zoya polishes would work, and you're willing to wait a bit, Zoya has amazing sales frequently (they just had one where you got 4 free polishes if you paid $15 shipping; you do have to be willing to wait because it can take sevveral weeks to receive your polish when they're having a big sale).

Golden Enchantment is the gold equivalent of Fairy Dust. It's another polish that I don't think is currently being produced. However, from what I've read, China Glaze bootlegs don't occur as often as OPI ones do, so probably safe to buy from Amazon or EBay (may want to check ratings of whatever seller you choose). I see that head2toebeauty, 8ty8beauty and transdesign all have it. They are cheap, but make up for it with postage charges unless you are buying multiple polishes. I've purchased once each from two of them with no issues and they all get mentioned positively on youtube.

I also know of at least one indie maker who has a polish that is a dupe. I can certainly look at some of the other indie makers lines for dupes if you'd like some options in that area.

Respected Contributor
I buy most of my Essie and OPI on eBay. As long as the seller has good feedback, I'm ok with it. Haven't really had a problem.
Valued Contributor

Juperier, thanks again so much for all the time you spend providing great information. It has been very informative. One question I have (sorry to be dumb) what is  "indie". I am not familiar with the term.

I removed my acrylics a year and half ago after 25 years. It took a while and trying several methods to bring them back to almost normal. I found Nailtiques 2 and plenty of oil worked best. 

Had to learn how to polish my nails again and have tried many polishes and have found that I like Deborah Lipmann gel base and top coat ( the newest version in the black bottles) to be great for making nails look like gel nails with all the shine. I get these from HSN.

I really like seeing the colors and swatches on line. Otherwise I go to Ulta and end up with colors I don't like.I enjoyed the blog with comparisons. I am sure I can find someting similar to Extravagance that will work fine. I am already looking at spring and summer colors too.

Trusted Contributor

@Rachb I've made dozens of polish purchases and I haven't had a problem (as far as fakes go) either. But I have certainly read enough stories and even seen a few listed items that I think might have beeen fake. Reading  the feedback comments helps.

Trusted Contributor

@gtx Thank you. Finding that comparison blog was fun. There's no reason feel dumb. I'm thinking if I'd heard the term as related to polish three years ago I would have said "Huh???" To me, indie polishes are polishes that are designed, hand-mixed, hand-poured and sold by the individual making them. Of course there are many individual indie polishes that are very similar, both to mainstream and other indies (and to all the polish business models in between). But there is always a seemingly endless variety of unique polishes being released.

One thing I've learned is that much of the damage supposedly "caused" by acrylic and gel nails has much more to do with poor techniques used by nail techs. It takes months for the damaged nails to be replaced by new, healthy nails after the damage stops.

Thankfully I never went down that path. But I did use Nailtiques 2 for quite a while when I wanted to grow them a bit longer after I retired. It worked wonders until I had used it too long and my nails had gotten too hard. Around the same time I came across an internationally known research chemist/nail expert thanks sto a FB group I was in and learned that nail strengtheners are one common cause of the slight onycholisis (nail lifting) I was beginning to experience on a couple of nails. At that time I was changing polish daily, so frequency of ;was also a factor. I now try to apply various oils frequently during the day. I've learned to mostly use unscented because frequent exposure to some of the scents makes my fingertips very sensitive.

To be honest, colors online can be very deceiving. Obviously, the same color will appear differently on different monitors and some photographers are better than others. But some colors just don't photograph accurately no matter what. When you get to glitters and glitter toppers, the "tricks" that are used to highlight the polish, as well as the color used under a topper, can result in the image looking very different when you receive the bottle. Some polishes look far better on than they do in the bottle and vice versa. I also have found that I will often like the looks of a polish that's outisde my comfort zone more after I've worn it a bit.

I'm going to tag you in the long nail polish thread that's been going on for a while now. If you go to the last page and work backwards, you can see some of the indie polishes I've worn recently. My new phone takes better pictures, so the most recent ones are mine. Most of the earlier ones I've found online.