Trusted Contributor

Re: NAIL POLISH FOR THOSE OVER 50

I'm 64 and wear every color of the rainbow.  I usually wear a polish to match or coordinate with the color(s) I am wearing so it's usually seasonal shades.  I think wearing polish (no matter the color) will make one's hands look better.

Trusted Contributor

I love OPI dark polishes. I'm wearing a new color on my toes- Rich & Brazilian

and the gel on my fingernails I'm wearing is Every Month is Octoberfest. Last month I wore Lincoln Park After Dark. The new Breakfast At Tiffany's collection has some fun colors. 

Enjoy your new polishes and don't worry about age! Have fun- life's short. 

Honored Contributor

There is no such thing as age and nailpolish! I'm in my 60's and always wear very flamboyant polish! Especially on my toes! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

I agree with what the other ladies have said!  Being over 50 does not mean one has to stop wearing bold colors.  Who knows we're over 50 anyway?  My 62 year old hands look so much better with a manicure. I'm wearing my natural nails longer now and am wearing a lovely Christmas Red on them.  Sometimes I wear them shorter...it just depends on my mood.  Let's all put those so called "rules" to rest and wear what makes us feel good about ourselves!  

Spoiler

Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

st naRe: NAIL POLISH FOR THOSE OVER 50

it's just nail polish, let's wear what we  like, and make sure it's not chipped and taken care of.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Forget age and wear what you like. Personally, I only like natural light or clear shades. Always have. Always will. But some women are diehard color lovers, which is great. 

I agree. I also prefer clear or very light shades on my fingernails but know others who like bright and/or dark shades. 

If your hands look look bad it won't matter what shade you use. Take good care of them just like you do your face.

Honored Contributor

Another one of those "rules" that is pure BS.

Wear whatever shades FLATTERS your coloring. That's what matters. 

Super Contributor

@shiningstar  Enjoy whatever color you want.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

i don't think physical age determines the shade of polish for your mani as much as the age of your hands...how they've aged. At my age, I prefer a clear, pinkish nude or beige shade. It makes my fingers look longer, doesn't draw attention to the veins and wrinkles. IMO a darker polish draws your eye to any blemishes on the hands..brown spots, arthritis, etc. I'd rather not draw attention to all that.

@Shanus    @shiningstar

ITA about harsh colors on wrinkled or blemished hands.  It draws attention to imperfections.   A soft nude can be very flattering.   Obviously, a woman can wear any shade she "likes" but that doesn't mean it's attractive!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 66 and pale.  Dark colors look better on my nails than lighter shades.  My nails are never naked and I have a polish change every week.  I wear what I like depending on if a need a more conservative look or a fun look. 

Presently I'm wearing Zoya Linds  on my ring fingers and Zoya Chita on my other 8 fingers.  Both are from their Pixie Dust collections.

main image

zoya nail polish pixiedust ZP698    CHITA

Age should never limit you in anything.