Honored Contributor

Re: Mally Evercolor Shadow Sticks?

@sunala wrote:

Has anyone used them and have an opinion about them? I was watching some Mally videos and thought I'd like to try them. But I do not have smooth eyelids, being of "a certain age."

I loved the Pink Champagne and the Moonlight. I would try a few of the others but they're a little pricey.

I have a shoebox filled with Bare Escentuals shadows, shimmers and glimmers. I think I could get a similar effect with them but I haven't worn them in a good ten years, if not more.

I'm just thinking of changing things up a little. What do you think?

@sunala  Good morning. I haven’t tried the Mally Evercolor Sticks because they are mostly shimmer...not great unless lids are “young” and smoothe. If you want to try matte waterproof, shadow sticks I suggest Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier and TRISH McEvoy. They all offer matte shades. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in agreement with the "too shimmery" votes. It looks okay, but I get a much better look with powder shadow (applying a base first). These sticks tended to crease too. 

Respected Contributor

@sunalaI didn't care for the Mally Shadow Sticks. But, I do love Shadow Sticks for my older, 57 yo, eyes.

I don't use primer under my shadow sticks. They work well without it.

I'm not saying not to use the Mally Sticks. You may love them.

I love the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks, Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Shadow Sticks & Mac Pro Longwear Colour Stick Shadow (They were LE but can probably be found at Cosmetic Company Stores) . 

They all have matte & shimmer shades. All are easy to apply & blend, but they set & stay on all day.

The shimmer shades are pretty & easy to wear. I apply them to my lid & then blend them up with my Mac 252 brush. Sometimes that is all I do. Sometimes I add powder shadow to deepen the crease &/or highlight my brow bone. 

Kiko & Julep both have shadow sticks, but for me they are too creamy & blend away to easily. 

Try a shadow stick & don't be afraid of the shimmer!

Laura Mercier has 2 shadow stick sets out right now. Great colors, but one is the Intense version, which has more glitter. Ther regular set would be a great way to try them.

Esteemed Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@sunala  You might want to wait to purchase these.  Ulta has Mally Shadow Stick often for their 21 days of Beauty for more than half off.  Or you can try it in a kit A346751 six piece for $42 right now on QVC.

Thanks @momoftwo2007 - I have that set of 6 in my shopping cart but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on shadow I may not even like.

Ulta's 21 days of beauty ended in September so I can wait until next year (not)! or give this set a shot. I can give away the ones I'm not going to use like the very dark shades.

I'm on my way to check out my big box of Bare Escentuals Glimmers and shadows. Loads of shades in there. I was crazy about BE but then I got bored with it and moved on. I think now it's time to move back!

Thank you everyone for the heads up!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

I used to love Mally's eyeshadow sticks when she owned her company and I believe the sticks were made in Italy.  I don't care for the ones carrying her brand now.  They are not as creamy and I find them not as long lasting.  I give my vote to Kiko Milano -- made in Italy but can be purchased on line from its website.  There is a store in New York if you live in that area -- and they are only $9.00 each!  Lovely colors as well.

Respected Contributor

@sunalaUlta has the Mally Shadow Sticks for $6.25. 

That is worth trying!

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@sunala  You might want to wait to purchase these.  Ulta has Mally Shadow Stick often for their 21 days of Beauty for more than half off.  Or you can try it in a kit A346751 six piece for $42 right now on QVC.

Thanks @momoftwo2007 - I have that set of 6 in my shopping cart but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on shadow I may not even like.

Ulta's 21 days of beauty ended in September so I can wait until next year (not)! or give this set a shot. I can give away the ones I'm not going to use like the very dark shades.

I'm on my way to check out my big box of Bare Escentuals Glimmers and shadows. Loads of shades in there. I was crazy about BE but then I got bored with it and moved on. I think now it's time to move back!

Thank you everyone for the heads up!

@sunala- The dark shades that you weren't going to use would be nice gifts for someone on your Xmas list.... Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I loved the old formula of Mally eye shadow sticks, before she sold her company.  I wore her taupe stick almost every day for years.  The color lasted all day.  Mally's new eye shadow sticks are too shimmery for my taste.  I've tried a couple of the neutral colors, but ended up tossing them because of the added sparkle.  (I like sparkle, just not on my eyelids!)  I found a brand called Kiko Milano that has a nice matte taupe that I can wear every day.  

I preferred Mally's old formula and returned new shadow sticks when I purchased them a year or so ago.  I recently tried the Laura Mercier brand and I like them a lot.  They do have sheen/sparkle, but I like that even though I am old.   The colors are neutral in the set I purchased.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@sunalaUlta has the Mally Shadow Sticks for $6.25. 

That is worth trying!

Thanks @Dusty1 - I called my local Ultas, but they don't have any of the shades I want in stock. Of course I'm not going to have it delivered.

I'm sure I'll find one eventually. Thank you!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

I love Mally's eyeshadow sticks and have been wearing them for years. I don't notice any difference in staying power between the white and silver sticks. I usually use inexpensive NYX or ELF shadow primer before putting on the eyeshadow stick. I have oily eyelids, and the color will still be on my eyelid the next morning if I happen to fall asleep with my makeup on on a Saturday night. Woman Very Happy The Julep eyeshadow stick, on the other hand, creases and doesn't look good after sleeping overnight in it. Mally jokes that you can take the walk of shame and still look good! Woman LOL My eyeshadow still looks good when I go to the gym the next morning. 

I love the rose gilt that was in a kit. The shadows can also be worn on the bottom lid and will stay put.