Respected Contributor

Re: MAKE UP A BIG FLAKEY MESS...HELP!!

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Dazlin 

The La Roche sunscreen contains avobenzone, a chemical sunscreen. The EL foundation contains zinc oxide, a mineral sunscreen. The two types of sunscreens should never be mixed or worn together. They react with one another and avobenzone becomes unstable meaning it won't protect you from the UV rays. I have mentioned this before regarding the use of foundation layered with chemical sunscreens. Many foundations contain mineral pigments in the form of oxides.

@SilleeMee ...great info!!  I agree the mineral sunscreens are not helpful,    (at least for me), I can say from my experience.  I chose the chemical sunscreen because I'm better protected according to my experience with these.  As for the mineral in the foundation,  I didn't know it couldn't be mixed with my sunscreen and I didn't look to see if it was mineral... Ughhh, what a mess.  

I feel like dumping the foundation all together,  but I think I paid $48...too late to return, I threw everything out. 

Thank you so much, you are soooo helpful!!

Honored Contributor

You're welcome @Dazlin .

Respected Contributor

@monicakm , thank you so much!!  I have Sephora here inside jcpenny...I wonder if I could go there and return it??

Honored Contributor

No, you can't Smiley Sad  That is a messed up, complicated ordeal if you ask me.  But, call and make sure I know what I'm talking about.  Stand alone Sephora stores, JC Penny Sephora stores and Sephora online are all different when it comes to returns.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm ...thank you!!  I just checked my order online...I think I'll just go into the store with the product, and pull up my order to show them.  If it doesn't work, I'm done with it...I have too much important stuff going on to be bothered too much with this...but yes,  I'd sure like to be reimbursed $48.00.  I also bought Milk Stick blush, another product I HATE, sticky goo on my cheeks.  

Your are right about being stand alone stores...I have purchased gift cards from Sephora inside jcpenny, and found out they can only be used for that particular store, not online.  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

I hate to see people stuck with products they don't like and/or can't use especially when a store has such a generous return policy.  I'm returning two products today and will be taking them to my local Dollar Store (I think Sephora knows how much I hate going in there lol).  I'm returning a Nars foundation that was too light and a Black Opium fragrance that smells  pretty much like another  Black Opium fragrance I have.  I asked DH if he liked my new perfume.  He smell it and said, "don't you already have one that smells like this?"  There's my sign!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

Chemical sunscreens like avobenzone should be applied first to clean dry skin. The reason is b/c it needs to absorb into the skin where it becomes more stable as it binds to certain proteins beneath the surface. That's the reason why the directions on the bottle tells you to wait 15 minutes after application before going into the sun. The SPF stated on the bottle is determined by that method of application...apply to clean dry skin and let absorb. If you apply anything under a chemical sunscreen, let it be a vitamin C serum and that's all. If you apply foundation use a non-tinted primer on top of the chemical sunscreen before applying foundation.

ETA - I'm not a fan of mineral sunscreens either. My derm doesn't recommend them either. I remember we had a discussion about this subject a while back. Something about you getting sunburned on your chest(?) after using a mineral sunscreen.

Honored Contributor

I use Neutrogena Dry Touch which makes such a difference.

Try Neutrogena and go light on all of your first product applications.  THEN make your coffee or whatever to let it soak into your skin.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin Looks like you got lots of good info.  Nice discussion on a real problem that a bunch of us have encountered.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee , yes...the mineral sunscreen left me with new brown spots, rather quickly.  I then searched online and read that they can be ineffective for a sunblock.  I also read your posts and drs on you tube.  I had one from Andrew Lessman, and I got burned and had brown spots.