Regular Contributor

For years I have on the been on the impossible hunt to find a lipstick that is truly my lips but better. They are either too brown, pink or just looks blah on me! Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated! It would be nice to find a drugstore one but I hate that you have to try it at home and return it if it doesn't work!! Help.....

Honored Contributor

Healthy Lips by Laura Mercier is beautiful.  It is in the sheer collection.  The color is not sheer just the lipstick base (not a heavy lipstick)  as far as I am concerned.  I love this lipstick as I apply it, blot it, and it looks like my lips but better.  She has 25% off right now so check it out.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I know what the OP means, I could open my own lipstick counter, I have so many tubes!

Ladies, remember in the old days when Avon used to make those tiny little tubes of lipstick you could try the colors.  Haven't thought about that in years.

If manufacturers wanted to they could make tiny little pods you use with your finger to put one or two applications to see if you like it.  But they would rather have you buy the tube and not use it!

Respected Contributor

I would go check out some of the Cosmetic counters at a department store, Ulta or Sephora. I would suggest Bobbie Brown to start, I think she has many "lippy" colors to match.

AdmittedlyI am not a huge fan of some of those pushy "make-up" ladies, but at least, you would be able to see a bunch of colors and formulas in one stop!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

By any chance do you have neutral skin tones? Because that sometimes poses a lipstick quandry. Are you looking for shades that wake up your look, but not be too garish?

If you have neutral skin tones, look at the coral shades, but I would suggest you apply with a brush. The brush helps you smooth on a touch of color, rather than having concentrated, harsher or bolder-looking color.

It sounds like you are staying away from reds.

Regular Contributor

I appreciate all your suggestions. I have been to the Bobbie Brown and Laura Mercier counters. Always happens.... Love it under the store  lights.... Get it home and I hate it. Love your suggestions though!

Honored Contributor
Pain is real!! Found mine!! BE TSV Gen Nude JUJU 💋
Esteemed Contributor

I love a nude look but everyone's lips are a different tone. Some more pink, some more beige and if you use a primer or foundation shade on you lips, well, begin again for that quest!

I bought Tarte in Park Avenue Princess. Good match, nice consistency, short wear time but at $17 not a budget buster.

Respected Contributor

For me it is Bare Minerals in the color Dolly. My lip color only better.

Honored Contributor

I am a lipstick junky and spend way too much on it. I think the color of the lips determine how the lipstick color will show up on you. I personally like lip color that shows up , is creamy and stays put. I like Butter London and Doll 10 nudes, also the new lip color that was in the BE TSV is really nice.