Honored Contributor

I have seen Lancôme described as makeup for "older women" Same with Elizabeth Arden and Estée Lauder. Lancôme isn't trying to appeal to women over 60 (where the stats prove they buy less makeup) rather the younger woman who this type of branding will hold more appeal.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kinda Sad: Lancome

[ Edited ]

I don't mind the company going for a fun themed edition.  I just don't think it's very creative. A bear?  What does a bear have to do with Lancome?  is this a collab with build a bear or something I am missing?

Come on Lancome if you wanna go out on a limb, go out on a limb!  Make cutesy little eiffel towers or crossiants or something FRENCH. lol

Respected Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

I don't mind the company going for a fun themed edition.  I just don't think it's very creative. A bear?  What does a bear have to do with Lancome?  is this a collab with build a bear or something I am missing?

Come on Lancome if you wanna go out on a limb, go out on a limb!  Make cutesy little eiffel towers or crossiants or something FRENCH. lol

No, the collaboration is with Be@rbrick.  That you don't know what it is is probably a good sign you're not the target demographic.

Super Contributor

Re: Kinda Sad: Lancome

[ Edited ]

I do think this company might consider some re-branding.  I've never considered buying Lancome products, but purchase mainly Fenty, MAC and Makeup Forever makeup.  It would be great if Lancome appeared to want to extend its customer base beyond a very specific age group. I agree that this attempt is rather lame.

Trusted Contributor

@Indra wrote:

I do think this company might consider some re-branding.  I've never considered buying Lancome products, but purchase mainly Fenty, MC and Makeup Forever makeup.  It would be great if Lancome appeared to want to extend its customer base beyond a very specific age group. I agree that this attempt is rather lame.

Perhaps L'Oréal is working on doing just that!

“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” -Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

No words, and I don't get it.

Haven't been to Mickey D's in years so didn't know about that either.

Guess I'm just out of it, period. Cat Indifferent

Respected Contributor

would never have used Estee Lauder OR Elizabeth Arden as 20-something.

LOVE Cosmetics and Yardley - YES

Trusted Contributor
@CatsyCline

I would have. I started my skin routine seriously at about 25. I knew all about L and EL. I didn't consider it too 'old' for me in my 20's and 30's. I knew it was a higher end premium skincare line that I wanted desperately to use but couldn't afford. But skincare was different then. There wasn't much beyond that available to me in our area and certainly there is now an overabundance of branding and choices.
But for premium, some are still no brainers.
I wouldn't imagine it would take this hello kitty type packaging to appeal to younger consumers.
It looks like something an 11yr old would ask for not even knowing what's in it
Respected Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
@CatsyCline

I would have. I started my skin routine seriously at about 25. I knew all about L and EL. I didn't consider it too 'old' for me in my 20's and 30's. I knew it was a higher end premium skincare line that I wanted desperately to use but couldn't afford. But skincare was different then. There wasn't much beyond that available to me in our area and certainly there is now an overabundance of branding and choices.
I wouldn't imagine it would take this hello kitty type packaging to appeal to younger consumers.

@Midmod    oh ok i was talking about makeup. in my 20s for skin care i used Clinique. (Estee Lauder)  i guess that was a Prestige line. i liked the facial cleansing bar and a day cream. in my 30s i liked Prescriptives (another EL line)

TBH gimmicky packaging just makes me NOT want to buy. i do like Hello Kitty though...

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Midmod wrote:
@CatsyCline

@Midmod    oh ok i was talking about makeup. in my 20s for skin care i used Clinique. (Estee Lauder)  i guess that was a Prestige line. i liked the facial cleansing bar and a day cream. in my 30s i liked Prescriptives (another EL line)

TBH gimmicky packaging just makes me NOT want to buy. i do like Hello Kitty though...

I think for people with very large make up collections, the gimmicky package can be a draw though.  Unless I'm going to sprout a few more eyes, I have more eye shadow palettes than I will ever use in this lifetime.  It won't stop me from buying another scented Too Faced palette in the little tins or a Colour Pop palette with a fun theme (no one needed that red and green Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer palette but it's super cute and makes me happy when I see it in my eye shadow basket).  I have over 100 lipsticks.  It's hard to get me interested in a different color or formula at this point,  Show me some cute packaging and I might need it.  Would I pull a Winnie the Pooh lip gloss out of my handbag for a touch up?  No.  Do I still think it's fun and would add it to my collection?  I might.  I don't think I own a stitch of Lancome makeup.  I can't remember the last time I slowed down walking past the Lancome counter at Macy's, but something fun and different might pique my interest.