Respected Contributor

Josie Maran- I FIGURED OUT WHY SO MANY SHOWS!

I usually buy Josie Maran's Argan Oil when I see a good deal of QVC, just to make sure I don't run out.  This last bottle I opened up has an 'awful smell' to the oil.  I have never experienced this before with Josie's oil.  She probably has so many shows on QVC because obviously, the oil's 'shelf life' doesn't last forever so she needs to keep turning over her stock to keep it fresh.  That's my take on it anyway.

Honored Contributor

Re: Josie Maran- I FIGURED OUT WHY SO MANY SHOWS!

@sarahpandaI have no real idea why Josie has so many shows, but I'm sorry to hear you hit a rancid bottle.  I've had oils go bad -  olive oil, Crisco oil, etc. but I've been fortunate with Josie's.  I recently found and opened  a bottle I'd stored in the wrong place - smells good and I'm using it.  I can't even remember when I last bought -  I'm thinking in terms of years, not months.  So there's another mystery -  why do some go bad while others maintain themselves?

Honored Contributor

Sorry hearing yours went rancid. No problems with mine. 

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda 

Josie has said during presentations that unopened argan oil has a shelf life of 2 years and opened oil has a shelf life of 1 year.

I learned the hard way not to order the supersize argan oil because it went rancid before I could use it all, even using it every day.

I guess we have no way of knowing how long it sits in a warehouse before we receive it, but it sure is disappointing when it goes rancid!

I started buying other brands of argan oil that are much less expensive and have never had them go rancid before I could use it all.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about Josie's oil....but that's what the grocery stores do -- push their outdated things to the center display isles.

I suppose it is our responsibility to check the dates on everything we buy. Try to see if you can return it. 

Honored Contributor

@HarpaI look at those dates, but I also keep in mind that the dates have very little to do with whether a product can actually be useful -  and that includes even many foods.  The dates are sell-by dates, and even the use-by dates some list, are not definitive according to the scientists.  Maybe there will be some diminishment of quality or effectiveness, but if your nose and your fingers tell you the product hasn't gone bad, it's okay to use.  I'm going with those scientists!

During the last half of 2018 and now well into 2019, I'm using down the overabundance of personal care (skin, hair, make-up mostly) I bought in the past.  I'm not cruising the aisles at the drugstores, I'm not watching those lines on TV -  I still have more than I should have paid for already -  and so far, I haven't opened a single product that has gone bad.

Respected Contributor

Everyone needs a job & this is Josie's. It's her job & QVC is part of her job.

I love the argan oil & I am glad that I discovered it, because my skin breaks out from everything.

I do get JM when I can. It is my favorite, but I go through a lot of oil, because I use it as makeup remover.

So, I buy Shea Moisture brand that I get when it is on sale at Ulta.

The last couple of bottles that I bought have a stronger smell than it normally has.

I see that they had a packaging change, so maybe that is why my bottles are off. Maybe it was older, but I have still used it. I just rub it on to break up the makeup & then wash it off. 

I have a nice, fresh bottle of JM Argan Oil that I use at night over my moisturizer. 

Honored Contributor

Exposure to heat also makes oils, and pretty much all skincare, go bad faster. (One way companies rapidly quality test formulas for shelf life and preservative efficacy is to heat them, speeding up their breakdown.)

So if the oil was kept in a hot warehouse at some point or sat out the heat during transport, or just broiled in the sun on your porch last summer --moreso than was accounted for in quality testing-- that can affect how long it stays good. You have to be able to trust the complete supply chain if you want to be able to trust shelf life and stability claims.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Um, no.  Turning over the product has nothing to do with why she has so many shows.  It's all about money.  Her products sell, otherwise, she wouldn't be on QVC. 

Respected Contributor

@Shaunac  You are absolutely correct.  Has nothing to do with supposed "old" product.  People love her stuff and it's a huge money maker for the Q