Regular Contributor

Jamie Kern Lima on Megyn Kelly Today, yesterday

Not sure why on whatever appearance Jamie makes on network TV, present day, she doesn't acknowledge that her first US appearance was with Bye Bye undereye on HSN in 2008-2009.  She had a good segment yesterday on Megyn Kelly (looking great) and once again said she launched IT first on QVC (selling out) after been turned down for years. She also mentioned she was turned down by one company because of her weight.  Now that the two companie (QVC/HSN) are under one umbrella and many customers overlap, not sure why HSN is blocked out as part of her early success story. The Internet has the link to her HSN appearance with pictures.  Why would someone so smart and successful leave herself open to be called out?  HSN not a bad way to launch.  I purchased from that early appearance on HSN. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Jamie Kern Lima on Megyn Kelly Today, yesterday

One never knows...maybe she didn't have a positive experience at HSN.

Honored Contributor

Don't know,  don't care.  It doesn't change her story one little bit and the fact is that QVC is where she got her big break.  That's what put her on the map.

Valued Contributor

Some years ago at HSN several hosts were let go because of their weight.  I believe they had a "contest" to give everyone there a chance to lose weight.  Those that didn't were gone.  Maybe that is what Jamie was alluding to.

Esteemed Contributor

Jamie Kern Lima is a very successful woman regardless of her weight, which should not be an issue. If she had a negative experience at HSN because of her weight, I can understand why she would not mention it.  

I had no idea that people were terminated from employment because of their weight.  Harkens back to the day when flight attendants had a certain weight requirement.  Thankfully, we are getting past all of that, but I think we still have a ways to go.

I remember many years ago, I had an adult student in class who was a plus size.  I did job placement and I had an attorney call for my best student.  I sent her on the interview; and, while he thought she was exceptional, he was hesitant to hire her because of her weight.  She had a job at Macy's and used her discount to dress to the nines.  I told him either he could have the best or he could have a pretty face with no ability and he could choose which one.  He did hire her and said that it was the best decision.  It was definitely a learning experience/eye opener for him.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

Kudo to Jamie for not mentioning HSN as the company that didn't like her weight.

This proves that she is a "lady and true professional business lady."

No wonder she is so successful she does things with class!!

Honored Contributor

@acatgirl

I know you meant your to post to be positive but it underscored the biases against larger women.  Things improved 1000 old since I graduated from college but size descrimination still exists, especially in the fashion and beauty industry.  You can have someone capable, or you can have a pretty face...really????  As woman who has never been a single digit dress size and whose weight has been everywhere from a size 12 to size 28; that's insulting.  It played right into the idea that just being a plus size women meant you are automatically ugly and unattractive.  I probably would have phrased it  something like "I sent you my best candidate, you would be fortunate to have her on your staff" and left it at that.   

Honored Contributor

Suzanne Runyan was plus size at QVC then went to HSN, she lost weight somewhere in-between.    Was losing the weight a requirement of her employment?

I sure hope not.   

Esteemed Contributor

@softwarewrote:

Suzanne Runyan was plus size at QVC then went to HSN, she lost weight somewhere in-between.    Was losing the weight a requirement of her employment?

I sure hope not.   

I dont recall Suzanne being plus size, larger yes. Maybe  a 12  or 14? But I guess in tv that's considered a plus size. Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114wrote:

@softwarewrote:

I sure hope not.   

I dont recall Suzanne being plus size, larger yes. Maybe  a 12  or 14? But I guess in tv that's considered a plus size. Woman Mad

Carolyn is a 14, I recall Suzanne larger than that.   

Just working from memory