Valued Contributor

I think I've tried everything for peeling nails, Perfect Formula made my nails WORSE and Julep did nothing.  OPI's Gel Break or Citra 2 by Nail Tek have been the best.  I wish there was a miracle product.

Respected Contributor

It chipped off too much for me. I did not care fore Julep polishes and the so called oxygen hype.

Trusted Contributor

I like the Julep Oxygen Treatment set I got a while ago that contains a sheer pink and sheer lavender color.  I only use them on my fingernails and often put on one coat of one color and a second of the other (no base or top coats).  Whether there is any benefit to an oxygen treatment for the nails, I couldn’t tell you.  The polish usually lasts me 3 days or so, which is remarkable for me.  

On my toes, I do a traditional pedicure.  For polish, I use Orly Bonder first (the best base coat I’ve found) followed by two coats of polish and OPI Top Coat.  Most of my colors are OPI or Zoya.  My pedicure can last 4 weeks before obvious growth appears.

Honored Contributor

I didn't care for the set of Julep mini polishes that Shawn did the design for the box.  They were thick and not good at all.  I returned them.  My nails are better using the Julep oxygen nail treatment, but it could also be from the vitamins I am taking, etc.  I always have my nails polished --I do them at least once a week.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I don't believe any of the claims.  Long before there were shopping channels, Internet sellers, etc. I took my disgusting nails to my derm who suggested I stop wasting my money on products because I wasn't going to be happy with any results.  He also didn't think I'd be all that happy with my natural nails, but at least I wouldn't have spent a wallet full of money on them!

For my nails at that time, he was right.  I did use acrylics when I was working, just never long and exaggerated.  They looked fine, but my weak nails certainly weren't heathier for them, so in retirement, I'm natural. I always use color on my toes, but not on my fingers.  None of the newer producrs that tout treatments work for me.  Wish one would, but my past experiments with them have left me cynical.

@millieshops

I have had basically the same experiences with my nails as you! I love having color on my nails and always used polish my whole life.  But as I have gotten older, my nails (like everything else) have changed --- gotten thin, brittle, peely, break easily --- and are just not nice looking at all.  I used to get so many compliments on my nails and hands.  I had to stop using all polish as they all seemed to make my nails worse!  My nails have improved somewhat since going natural, but I don't like the look of them bare.  But I'd rather have them be more healthy than to still use polish and damage them evwn more. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Julep and Nail Envy both did nothing for me. Julep chips in one day, Nail Envy peels off.  I prefer NutraNail Nail Strengthener with green tea. You can pick it up at Walgreens.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Colleen’s nails were long, strong and beautiful before Julep came to Q. The Perfect Formula rep used her nails as an example of an “after”. 

So, who do you believe?

If Colleen had nice nails before putting on Julep...   they are probably in trouble now. 

Julep is terrible.

Honored Contributor

@MJDinVegas wrote:

I like the Julep Oxygen Treatment set I got a while ago that contains a sheer pink and sheer lavender color.  I only use them on my fingernails and often put on one coat of one color and a second of the other (no base or top coats).  Whether there is any benefit to an oxygen treatment for the nails, I couldn’t tell you.  The polish usually lasts me 3 days or so, which is remarkable for me.  

On my toes, I do a traditional pedicure.  For polish, I use Orly Bonder first (the best base coat I’ve found) followed by two coats of polish and OPI Top Coat.  Most of my colors are OPI or Zoya.  My pedicure can last 4 weeks before obvious growth appears.

@MJDinVegas  Pedicure that lasts for 4 wks.? Geeeez. I need to trim my toenails every 2 wks. even though the polish still looks great. Quite aggravating to clip them and re-polish so often. 4 weeks, huh? I’d have 1/4” growth showing at cuticle. 

Honored Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

I think I've tried everything for peeling nails, Perfect Formula made my nails WORSE and Julep did nothing.  OPI's Gel Break or Citra 2 by Nail Tek have been the best.  I wish there was a miracle product.

@Wobin  I have Perfect Formula on my nails now. It’s the 5th day...2 more and I trim very short, remove the gel coat, let nails breathe overnight and polish again the next day. I’m not reading anything about cuticle care. That’s where the nails grow from. I put oil on my cuticles and under the nail tip every night before bed...massaging it in well. Maybe that’s more helpful to achieving healthy nails than the gel coat, but I’m not tempting the Gods by changing products. 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Wobin wrote:

@Wobin  I have Perfect Formula on my nails now. It’s the 5th day...2 more and I trim very short, remove the gel coat, let nails breathe overnight and polish again the next day. I’m not reading anything about cuticle care. That’s where the nails grow from. I put oil on my cuticles and under the nail tip every night before bed...massaging it in well. Maybe that’s more helpful to achieving healthy nails than the gel coat, but I’m not tempting the Gods by changing products. 

I really hope it works for you.  I tried Perfect Formula twice, years apart.  It did not work for me.  Perhaps I need to focus more on the cuticles.