Respected Contributor

Is there anything that really softens cuticles?

I've used creams, oils and balms on my cuticles and the skin just beyond the cuticles. Nothing seems to actually penetrate to soften the cuticles/skin. Although moisturized on the surface, the skin is still hard. Does anything actually soften??? And no, it's not callused...just hard, dry skin.
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there anything that really softens cuticles?

Do you mean to push them back or for long term?

Blue Cross Cuticle Remover and Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover work for pushing cuticles back once a week.

If you want a longer term fix, I recommend a hand cream like AmLactin, Paula's Choice Resist Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% AHA, or Paula's Choice Resist Weightless Body Treatment with 2% BHA. Using an exfoliating hand cream a few times a day will exfoliate the cuticle and lead to softer, more pliable cuticles.

If you use a hand cream with AHA/BHAs, make sure you also use an SPF on your hands because they will be more vulnerable to sun damage.

Respected Contributor

Not a remover. I use a remover I'm happy with. But the remaining skin just past my cuticles, mainly on either side of the nail, is hard and dry. Nothing seems to soften it. I always want to cut it because it's annoying, but I know I shouldn't.
Trusted Contributor

I have the worst cuticles ever @Rachb.  I've always said I inherited my dad's mechanic hands.  I know rough, ripped, split cuticles.

Recently I started to use the Beekman 1802 cuticle cream that came in a gift set I got from Evine.  It took a little while, but I've seen a marked improvement. 7 of my 10 cuticles and doing great...soft, no splits.  I'm hoping the other 3 will improve with continued use.

I've been using for about 6 weeks and I've only used about 1/3 of the little pot.  I use it ever night before going to bed.

Honored Contributor

~ Isomers Healthy Nails &  Cuticle Renewal 
~ Skinn Foot Fetish

Respected Contributor

@JLF I hated the Isomers and returned it. Never thought to put Foot Fetish on my hands but makes sense. I have one somewhere that I've never used. I'll see if I can find it in my beauty closet!
Respected Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
Not a remover. I use a remover I'm happy with. But the remaining skin just past my cuticles, mainly on either side of the nail, is hard and dry. Nothing seems to soften it. I always want to cut it because it's annoying, but I know I shouldn't.

@Rachb  I know exactly what you're talking about.  The skin on the tips of my fingers on the sides of my nails gets so hard and cracked that I have actually scratched myself with them.  I have resorted to carefully snipping them off with the nail clippers, then using a heavy moisturizer.  I know you're not supposed to do that, but people who tell you not to cut them are probably not old enough to know what it's like! 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I stumbled across this emollient cream on Amazon some time ago called Cutemol.  It made a huge difference in my dry cuticles and brittle nails this winter.  I generously slather it on my nails and rub it in and under my nails at bedtime.  It's absorbed very fast.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
@JLF I hated the Isomers and returned it. Never thought to put Foot Fetish on my hands but makes sense. I have one somewhere that I've never used. I'll see if I can find it in my beauty closet!

@Rachb  Aw, thats' too bad.  What didn't you like about it?  It works well for me.

Respected Contributor

CND has a good cream that has AHA in it, and it does soften cuticles. Keeps them from growing like crazy, too. Comes in a small tube and I've bought it at Ulta or maybe even Sally's. HTH!!