Super Contributor

Re: Is anyone taking Chaz's 6-13 challenge?

On 10/2/2014 lavendar said:

Why do some kinds of hair love protein and some don't? I know my coarse, porous hair loves moisture. I do best with Fig and TT and add Lavender. I use the oils, styling cream and serum.

You can do a strand test: Take a hair and pull on each end. If it doesn't stretch but breaks, it's dry and needs moisture. If it stretches a lot and doesn't bounce back, it lacks protein. Also, if you put it in water and it floats, your hair isn't porous and doesn't absorb products well. Protein will just build up on the outside and gradually make your hair brittle. If it sinks, it's porous and can absorb too much moisture. A little protein will help fill in and smooth out the cuticle. That's why there's a little protein in all the WEN formulas - wheat, soy and rice. 613 has the added amino acids.

Fig, TT and Lav are great together. Sounds like they are working for you.

Honored Contributor

Why do some kinds of hair love protein and some don't? I know my coarse, porous hair loves moisture. I do best with Fig and TT and add Lavender. I use the oils, styling cream and serum.

who knows? It is just the makeup of our particular hair based on genetics and I am sure nutrition and health.

Contributor

On 10/2/2014 okiebug said:

You can do a strand test: Take a hair and pull on each end. If it doesn't stretch but breaks, it's dry and needs moisture. If it stretches a lot and doesn't bounce back, it lacks protein. Also, if you put it in water and it floats, your hair isn't porous and doesn't absorb products well. Protein will just build up on the outside and gradually make your hair brittle. If it sinks, it's porous and can absorb too much moisture. A little protein will help fill in and smooth out the cuticle. That's why there's a little protein in all the WEN formulas - wheat, soy and rice. 613 has the added amino acids.

Thanks, Okiebug! I'm going to try this test and adjust as needed.

Super Contributor

On 10/2/2014 okiebug said:

Good info thanks! BTW I've been using half 613 and half Fig or SAM and (today was FIG) and so far I'm liking the results, today might be the best so far! Yay!

Super Contributor

I've been mixing 2-3 pumps of 613 with whatever core CC I am using that day for a while now and the results have been fantastic for me! It's the perfect balance for my hair. I skipped the 613 a couple of times and I can definitely tell the difference. It makes my hair super smooth with no frizz/flyaways.

Respected Contributor

I would keep in mind that their hair is done by professionals before they go on the show. Wen will only keep your hair from damage and split ends and how good you are at styling your own hair. You have a legitimate thread though.