Super Contributor

Re: I need an intervention!!!! Trying to find my HG foundation - Too many choices!

On 4/14/2014 myshell624 said:

I "OVERCOMPLICATE uncomplicated things" when it comes to skincare so I know your pain. I used to love Estee Lauder Double Wear when my skin was oily. Of course, they animal test now, so it's a no go for me. If you are not opposed to those brands you might want to try getting a sample of the regular instead of the light to see if you like it any better. I don't have any cruelty free brands to recommend. Laura Mercier does seem to have a lot of fans but I don't have a counter near me, so I haven't tried her line. I am using Physicians Formula CC cream but I am not sure it would work for oily skin since mine is more dry and there are not a lot of shades available.

Myshell, I have a similar issue with trying out major brands. The only high-end dept store we have is Macy's but it doesn't carry BB or LM or Dior or MAC. We're talking just basic EL, EA, Lancôme, Clinique. Smiley Sad

When you wore the EL DW did you use the liquid or one in the tube?

Respected Contributor

Re: I need an intervention!!!! Trying to find my HG foundation - Too many choices!

Makeup Forever Duo Mat foundation. I personally love Naked foundation in .5 shade. It's the only foundation I've worn where people have complimented me on my skin.
Honored Contributor

I also would recommend Bare Minerals new Pure liquid serum make up. It is really a very nice liquid foundation.

I have been using loose bare minerals foundation for years. I tried this new Bare Minerals liquid foundation and it is quite nice. Only 2 drops on the special brush gives great coverage. I am almost 65 and it does not show my facial lines. It is light wgt and so far has not melted in the warm heat. I cleaned out my shed for several hours one day wearing this liquid foundation. the foundation stayed put (it was quite warm when I did this clean), foundation did not run.

Try it and see what happens.

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I'm also fair and prefer pink or neutral foundations. I've had really good luck with Lumene BB Cream in Light or the Ponds BB Cream - both available at CVS. You can powder over them if you have extra oil. I use a moisturizer with sunscreen under both because the Lumene doesn't work on damaging rays, only burning rays, and I prefer a higher SPF than the Ponds has. Neither makes me feel like I'm wearing makeup.

I like Bare Minerals in Fair, but it sounds like you're not having good luck with powder foundations. You might want to stop into a Sephora and ask for a sample of Benefit Cosmetics' new The Big Easy, which is almost a BB Cream, but has a cream-to-powder finish. I really like it.

Most of these offer sheer to light coverage because that's usually as far as I go. If you want more coverage, you can also try Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12-hour foundation.

Do you wear Fair or Light, ChynnaBlue?

Valued Contributor

Irishrose, my skin sounds very similar to yours, combo/oily with enlarged pores. First, start with good skin care products (you probably already do this). Make sure you include an exfoliant. I use PC 4% BHA foam twice a week and the 2% BHA gel on the rest of the days.

Secondly, use a primer that mattifies your skin. I have a few and they all seem to be the same on me. One of my favorites is the Monistat anti-chafing gel.

The foundation that works best for me is the Tarte powder foundation. I never thought I would use a powder at my age (58), thinking it would make me look older. But this foundation seems to melt into my skin and has a very subtle natural glow. One of the ingredients is crushed gemstones but don't let that scare you, it isn't glittery. I would describe the finish as semi-matte and natural. There is a great color selection, too, but I would recommend going to Sephora to be color matched and get a sample, if you have a Sephora near you.

I was very surprised that this foundation works so well for me. I hope you find something that works for you!

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 makeup addict said: Makeup Forever Duo Mat foundation. I personally love Naked foundation in .5 shade. It's the only foundation I've worn where people have complimented me on my skin.

makeup addict, I LOVE MFE's primer & HD finishing powder. What shade do you wear?

Beige Rose looks fair and cool.

I wish they would identify shades by tones, like Jane Iredale does.

eta: Urban Decay is one of my favorite lines. It seems to cater to oily/combo skin.

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 laurelei said:

Irishrose, my skin sounds very similar to yours, combo/oily with enlarged pores. First, start with good skin care products (you probably already do this). Make sure you include an exfoliant. I use PC 4% BHA foam twice a week and the 2% BHA gel on the rest of the days.

Secondly, use a primer that mattifies your skin. I have a few and they all seem to be the same on me. One of my favorites is the Monistat anti-chafing gel.

The foundation that works best for me is the Tarte powder foundation. I never thought I would use a powder at my age (58), thinking it would make me look older. But this foundation seems to melt into my skin and has a very subtle natural glow. One of the ingredients is crushed gemstones but don't let that scare you, it isn't glittery. I would describe the finish as semi-matte and natural. There is a great color selection, too, but I would recommend going to Sephora to be color matched and get a sample, if you have a Sephora near you.

I was very surprised that this foundation works so well for me. I hope you find something that works for you!

Thank you, laurelei! Your name is very pretty. Smiley Happy

Yes, we are similar. I also use PC 4% & 2%. Great exfoliants. I actually have several mattifying products. I also set my MU when I'm done with UD spray for oily faces. I also have UD blotting powder. Did I mention blotting papers. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I've heard Tarte recommended before but been afraid it was too drying, like LG BNB. We have a Sephora that recently opened up in a nearby JCP.

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Daysdee said:

Me too. I ordered the new BE liquid and it finally arrived late today; also trying IT Illuminating powder foundation (it is "powdery" on); trying one from Dior (a winner) and StriVectin foundation (okay, but may be a return). I plan to keep at least 2 of those I'm trying.

Daysdee, I recently got mine as well. My shade is 02.....Bare Shell? Bare Linen? Anyway, first impression is too little coverage & too much work to apply correctly. A learning curve I guess.....*wink*

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Irishrose136 said:
On 4/14/2014 myshell624 said:

I "OVERCOMPLICATE uncomplicated things" when it comes to skincare so I know your pain. I used to love Estee Lauder Double Wear when my skin was oily. Of course, they animal test now, so it's a no go for me. If you are not opposed to those brands you might want to try getting a sample of the regular instead of the light to see if you like it any better. I don't have any cruelty free brands to recommend. Laura Mercier does seem to have a lot of fans but I don't have a counter near me, so I haven't tried her line. I am using Physicians Formula CC cream but I am not sure it would work for oily skin since mine is more dry and there are not a lot of shades available.

Myshell, I have a similar issue with trying out major brands. The only high-end dept store we have is Macy's but it doesn't carry BB or LM or Dior or MAC. We're talking just basic EL, EA, Lancôme, Clinique. Smiley Sad

When you wore the EL DW did you use the liquid or one in the tube?

Sounds like we have the same linesSmiley Sad I wore the liquid. I think it had a gold top and no pump. It is one of the few foundations that I repurchased over and over. Estee Lauder is great about offering samples. I think when I started using it I went through three samples before I found my shade.

Valued Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Irishrose136 said:
On 4/14/2014 laurelei said:

Thank you, laurelei! Your name is very pretty. Smiley Happy

Yes, we are similar. I also use PC 4% & 2%. Great exfoliants. I actually have several mattifying products. I also set my MU when I'm done with UD spray for oily faces. I also have UD blotting powder. Did I mention blotting papers. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I've heard Tarte recommended before but been afraid it was too drying, like LG BNB. We have a Sephora that recently opened up in a nearby JCP.

I've never tried LG BNB so I can't compare. The only other powder foundation I tried in the past was BE and it just didn't work for me which is why I was very surprised that the Tarte foundation works so well.

Finding a foundation is such an individual thing and I think it is especially hard with oily skin. That's why I like that Sephora gives samples. My nearby Ulta does not give samples and I don't know if that's true of all their stores. I once tried Lancôme Teinte Miracle 24 hour foundation. Yes, it lasted a long time but it looked so matte on me, I looked dead! I was so glad I had the sample instead of wasting money on a whole bottle of it.

I'm interested in the UD finishing spray. I've seen it in the stores and wondered how it worked. I'll put that on my wish list! Love your comment about the blotting papers. Can't live without 'em, LOL!