Honored Contributor

If, you had a full face of makeup, and you constantly wore a mask, would you be likely to get clogged pores?

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG :  I'm leaning in the opposite direction:  you would use less makeup of most of your face is always covered and there might be some protection from dust etc.  I wonder if the skin of women who arbitrarily cover their faces in some countries is generally better than those of us raised in western societies?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG @patbz  Since DD as a hygienist is in a mask from 7AM to 4PM, she wears only minimal makeup...Bare Minerals Original Foundation. She wears her SPF and a light moisturizer and Vit.C serum first. She said powder foundations don't sweat off or clog pores. She also double cleanses at night, gets deep cleaning facials and uses Retin A and an acid peel when needed. She has beautiful skin. 

As far as skin coverings in other countries, the same would be true. Skincare would be crucial even though the mask protects some of the face from the elements, it also keeps sweat and accumulated debris in the pores unable to breathe. This would cause, in some cases, acne and blackheads. 

Honored Contributor

I don't wear any makeup at home and now since we have to wear a mask to go out, I no longer wear makeup then either.  I figure -- what's the point?  I get very hot after awhile with the mask on and feel like my face is getting kind of greasy (yuck) and irritated, and it's not a good feeling!  So, I figure adding makeup to the mix would not be a good thing --- at least for me!  

As for having to wear a mask all day long, such as medical personnel --- they have shown on t.v. how the tight fighting masks have really irritated and made sores on some of their faces!  Now, when businesses start reopening and people have to wear the masks for long periods of time, I would think some would have skin issues, particularly if you have more sensitive skin.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Thats a good question, I have worn no makeup with my mask. It just gets onto the mask and rubs it off. So no point. I dont wear even any lipcolor with mask. I have been wearing eye liner and sometimes mascara if I feel like using it. Feels good when I take off the mask, it is so hot and not comfy.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

When I wear a liquid foundation, I like Tarte, I end up with more blackheads and clogged pores anyway, so I think if I wore that I'd end up with a real mess wearing a mask. 

I have been using Bare Minerals when I go out, @Shanus is giving good advice. 

I usually don't wear makeup if I am staying home.

Honored Contributor

I've been doing my skincare, but changed from my usual moisturizer to a lighter Cetaphil lotion, concealer under eyes and a little brow mascara (Benefit Gimme Brow). Eyes are really all that's showing. I have a pomegranate lip balm in my console to wear until mask up time...I'm absolutely colorless without something somewhere...don't want to freak out drivers I may know. 

After all errands done and in for the day, off it comes. Didn't wear much more than that before (add my tinted moisturizer & mascara), so really no big deal to me. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

When I wear a liquid foundation, I like Tarte, I end up with more blackheads and clogged pores anyway, so I think if I wore that I'd end up with a real mess wearing a mask. 

I have been using Bare Minerals when I go out, @Shanus is giving good advice. 

I usually don't wear makeup if I am staying home.

Well thank you @happycat, but DD gets the credit for Bare Minerals. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

If, you had a full face of makeup, and you constantly wore a mask, would you be likely to get clogged pores?

There is a video from Dr Dray, a dermatologist on YouTube, that talks about this very subject @ECBG . 

Respected Contributor

I wear a baked powder foundation. I have found setting it with Urban Decay all nighter spray really helps keep it off the mask.  There is really only the bridge of the nose area where a tiny bit rubs off.  I stopped wearing blush because, what's the point.  But I do feel naked without a dusting of powder.