Honored Contributor

Re: Hydroshield is not at all like I expected!! Question for experienced Hydroshield users please.

I bought the TSV recently, and am trying these Dr. Denese products for the first time. I cannot speak to any results yet, but for those that say the hydroshield is just a primer, do most primers contain retinol?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hydroshield is not at all like I expected!! Question for experienced Hydroshield users please.

On 2/20/2015 Tissyanne said: I bought the TSV recently, and am trying these Dr. Denese products for the first time. I cannot speak to any results yet, but for those that say the hydroshield is just a primer, do most primers contain retinol?

No, they don't. I just chalk it up to "not everything is for everyone" and continue to enjoy using Hydroshield and other Dr D products{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I've used it for years and it sinks in and makes my skin feel great. If you don't cleanse and exfoliate your skin it will (as well as any other product you use) just sit on top of your skin as it cannot be absorbed fully or not at all due to all the dead skin buildup.

Super Contributor

Thanks anyone who left a helpful reply to my original question Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I bought Hydroshield for the first time years ago based on LR's recommendation because she said her skin is like the Sahara desert and so is mine. When I first used it I thought she was out of her mind. It felt slick and I didn't think it was going into my skin at all. I was sure I'd wake up the next morning with a face full of zits.

After about a minute or 2, I was hooked. No it doesn't replace a moisturizer for me. I use it under because I need more. But this has done wonders for hydrating my skin.

I stopped using it because I didn't like the pump bottles that couldn't be opened and moved on to other things. Then I bought the most recentl Test Tube and it had a small bottle of Hydroshield in it and I was hooked again.

I ordered the TSV but mine was advanced order so it won't ship until March I think. For me, this will be a product I will use during the fall and winter. I'm not sure I'll need it in the spring and summer.

Super Contributor

On 2/19/2015 Crisso said:
On 2/19/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 2/19/2015 CWS22 said:
On 2/19/2015 Crisso said:

Seriously. I didn't mean google and pick whatever first hits you research. I meant scientific research or from sources that are credible and actually quote the scientific research they are basing their findings on.... Never mind. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother!!!

I don't know why you bother either. If someone tells you that 'cones break them out, why would you debate that point with them? I posted a similar view on 'cones & HydroShield recently and was promptly told that 'cones aren't bad. Okayyyyy, but they ARE FOR ME. So let it be. You're not going to convince someone who's already narrowed down the culprit in their skincare products.

That's a valid question. I can't speak for Crisso, although I agree with her about the facts, but I think it's futile to debate anecdotal evidence. Instead, I just post credible information. It's up to others to do with it what they will.

I continue to do so because I think it's important to alleviate the fears of those who read some of the posts here. I've actually read some posts where people who had absolutely no reactions or problems with silicones become concerned because of the aforementioned anecdotal reports.

For the record. I get impatient, yes, when people respond to something without having read what was written in context.

First of all, the OP never said she broke out because of the silicones in the product. She said she did not find it moisturizing enough. Read her original post.

My first post was, I think, very balanced. Read that too. I am speaking to CWS22 here, by the way.

It was other posters who brought up the silicones which, and I quote the OP, "scared" her. Which was why I made a comment about the myth of the evils of silicones.

My comment "why do I bother" was in response to doing a quick internet search and jumping on the first anecdotal sources, as Suze says, coupled with posters just refusing to even considering more credible sources. I Never debated with the OP (again, the person I was responding to) about whether or not the product would work for her.

AMEN

I never said you debated with the OP. You debated when someone else chimed in with their experience and said silicones break them out too - you came back with "I would place a bet that it was something else entirely." Really?

In addition to your declaration that silicone breakouts are a myth - which clearly they are not, for those of us who've experienced them.

Super Contributor

Here is an interesting link regarding dimethicone. And it seems that breakouts are a common problem. Like I said - I personally don't like products with ""cones"" in them but I'm not attacking anyone for using them. Just thought I would provide this perspective.

http://www.drfranklipman.com/the-truth-behind-the-common-cosmetics-ingredient-dimethicone/

Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2015 kahootz said:

Here is an interesting link regarding dimethicone. And it seems that breakouts are a common problem. Like I said - I personally don't like products with "cones" in them but I'm not attacking anyone for using them. Just thought I would provide this perspective.

http://www.drfranklipman.com/the-truth-behind-the-common-cosmetics-ingredient-dimethicone/

kahootz, I'm glad you posted this because it really serves up a good lesson about researching online.

Sites that tout a "natural" approach will often demonize ingredients without cause. This Dr. Lipman is one of them. He is not a dermatologist; in fact, he now spends his time supposedly helping "thousands of people recover their energy and zest for life," primarily through selling them stuff from his "Be Well Store" -- lots of cleanses, shakes, supplements, and health coaching. Oh, and tons of books.

His article is full of statements that he does not support with facts. I did check out his sources: His first citation/link is to a study that concluded that a particular silicone was in fact beneficial in dealing with type of dermatitis, the exact opposite of what he was saying; the second citation did not lead to any article or information; and the third citation was clearly not relevant to silicones in skin care.

Another big red flag is this line: "Much better to use nourishing ingredients that help keep your skin hydrated naturally! (Speaking of, check out my new skin care line here!)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 2/21/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 2/21/2015 kahootz said:

Here is an interesting link regarding dimethicone. And it seems that breakouts are a common problem. Like I said - I personally don't like products with "cones" in them but I'm not attacking anyone for using them. Just thought I would provide this perspective.

kahootz, I'm glad you posted this because it really serves up a good lesson about researching online.

Sites that tout a "natural" approach will often demonize ingredients without cause. This Dr. Lipman is one of them. He is not a dermatologist; in fact, he now spends his time supposedly helping "thousands of people recover their energy and zest for life," primarily through selling them stuff from his "Be Well Store" -- lots of cleanses, shakes, supplements, and health coaching. Oh, and tons of books.

His article is full of statements that he does not support with facts. I did check out his sources: His first citation/link is to a study that concluded that a particular silicone was in fact beneficial in dealing with type of dermatitis, the exact opposite of what he was saying; the second citation did not lead to any article or information; and the third citation was clearly not relevant to silicones in skin care.

Another big red flag is this line: "Much better to use nourishing ingredients that help keep your skin hydrated naturally! (Speaking of, check out my new skin care line here!)

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Contributor

bunnypink, I posted this a couple of years ago. This was an answer to a question on dimethicone and silicone found on the Dr. Denese site called mydrdenese.com.

"Silicones are polymers which can be made into different structure depending on the application.??

There are so many kinds of silicone in the market used in so many industries and depending on the application, its characteristics can be different.??There are silicone that are occlusive and which doesn’t allow anything in or out once applied.. On the other hand there are silicones that are semi-permeable which allows things in or our once applied.??

In cosmetic industry most common silicone used is ‘Cyclomethicone’ which is a cyclic version of silicone. These are also known as volatile silicone which volatilizes upon application leaving skin feel soft and non-tacky. Since this is a volatile, it does not leave any residues on the skin, just like how alcohol would evaporate after awhile on your skin. For these type of silicone you do not have to worry about being ‘occlusive’ and not letting actives to penetrate into the skin.

??Another common silicone used is ‘Dimethicone’. This is little trickier because there are different types available. It comes in short and long chains and depending on the chain length it can be occlusive -the longer it is the occlusive it gets. In skin care though, at least in Dr. Denese's skin care line, we use shorter chain length so it allows active ingredients to penetrate and gets delivered to where needed. Using short chain silicone also prevents pores from becoming clogged."

Bunnypink, make sure you exfoliate adequately. If you already do that then you may want to cut down on the amount of hydroshield. I only use a few drops. Also, hydroshield alone won't moisturize. You'll need a cream too. I hope you're able to make it work!