Frequent Contributor

How to prevent lipstick from bleeding

Hi all,  I've had issues lately with my lipstick " bleeding"  I always line my lips with a similiar color of lipstick and have tried the concealer trick also but still end up with the same issue.

Any suggestions or brands to try ?  I remember years ago my mom purchased a product specifically for this issue... Lipfix I think it was by Clinique...

TIA

Teddy

Frequent Contributor

Re: How to prevent lipstick from bleeding

Use a lipliner pencil in the same shade as your lipsticl.  Outline your lips and then apply the lipstick.  It should not bleed out of the line.

Respected Contributor

I have taken to using concealer on my lips before any lipstick. I always line and fill in, then lipstick. If I want it to really stay, I cover my lips with tissue and buff in powder.

If I am using gloss I will use DuWop Reverse Lip Liner, a clear chubby pencil all around my lips.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I have taken to using concealer on my lips before any lipstick. I always line and fill in, then lipstick. If I want it to really stay, I cover my lips with tissue and buff in powder.

If I am using gloss I will use DuWop Reverse Lip Liner, a clear chubby pencil all around my lips.

^This

Trusted Contributor

@Teddy55 wrote:

Hi all,  I've had issues lately with my lipstick " bleeding"  I always line my lips with a similiar color of lipstick and have tried the concealer trick also but still end up with the same issue.

Any suggestions or brands to try ?  I remember years ago my mom purchased a product specifically for this issue... Lipfix I think it was by Clinique...

TIA

Teddy

I use a clear lip liner.

There are many different ones out there. I was using one by Avon that I liked in their glimmersticks line. 

Respected Contributor

I take a little face powder on a puff and "puff" the powder on my lips, including slightly above the upper lip.  If you use too much, "blot" with the powder puff.  It ALWAYS works for me.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Frequent Contributor

Lip Fix is by Elizabeth Arden. I also used it years ago so I bought it recently but I

don't know that it works as well as I remembered!

Respected Contributor

This was the best product I found last year. ELF's liplock pencil. Only $3 and I don't ever put lipstick on without it!

Honored Contributor

@Teddy55

I have the same issue!  It really makes me mad.  If I try and wear a lipstick that has a little more color to it, which I like, since I am pale and washed out looking without it, then I get this migrating of color.  I am constantly using a tissue and wiping around the edges.  

I guess the best way to avoid it is to use a lighter gloss, which I do at times, but it just isn't as flattering on me.

I am going to try again the old method of applying lipstick - blotting it a lot -- then lightly applying again --- and see if that works.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@silkyk

Is this a liner, or do you apply it all over? 

I buy a lot of this line but I haven't seen this product.  I'm going to look again today for it.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin