Esteemed Contributor

How old is the makeup you own or have just purchased? Did it sit on a shelf somewhere for a while before you bought it? That's happened to me. I recently decluttered a Clinique sunscreen with SPF 15 that I bought in March of this year. From the expiration date, it was already 2 years old when I bought it. I'm not very happy about that since I feel that may be one of the reasons that it seemed to have deteriorated quickly. I won't repurchase that foundation again.

I also just decluttered some nail polishes. I found that I didn't use some of those clear Nail Envy polishes and they were getting to be between 3 and 4 years old (the period after opening for OPI and Sally Hansen nail polishes is 24 months).

I looked up all of those batch codes on the Checkfresh website under the Coty brand in the drop down menu. When I did an analysis of where I bought them and when I bought them, the oldest nail polish that I own sat in inventory for 2 years before I bought it from London Drugs - a Canadian chain of drugstores. I found that nail polishes that I bought from Winners (part of the TJX corporation) were actually fairly new when I bought them, they were a year old or less looking at the manufacturing date for them. I was surprised in a way since I would have assumed that Winners would have old nail polishes but that wasn't the case. London Drugs, the only drugstore chain in western Canada that sells OPI had the oldest inventory. I think it's because they charge more than Winners that their nail polishes sit on the shelves so long.

Both Shoppers Drug Mart and Walmart as well as London Drugs sell Sally Hansen products and the ones I bought from them were fairly new when I bought them from looking at the batch codes.

You can't always count on the age of a nail polish to be a determining factor if it works well or not, but who wants to buy old nail polish right from the start? If a nail polish is separated looking in the store, I'll pass on those.

Respected Contributor

This is probably not the place to admit that I  have eye shadow that is probably 15 years old, and use it too. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Funny,  I was just looking at my makeup  collection. I have  alot of unopened and opened .I've  been  trying  various brands over the last few yrs in search of the right color and coverage .  I usually give away what does not work for me .  I'm needing to  discard some now after I check the expiration recommendations for unused product.

Honored Contributor

I quit buying Doris Dalton' s products because i reveived several thing that were so old and stale they wete unusable.  Plus her lipsticks only last about 5 minutes, plus they're all the same color.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

This is probably not the place to admit that I  have eye shadow that is probably 15 years old, and use it too. 

@Peaches McPhee   Same here!   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

Me too, but some of my eyeshadow is over 20 years old.  It's leftover from when I used to buy the Smashbox and Bare Minerals kits in the 90's and early 00's. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always replace foundation every month or so, and replace mascara every 3 months.  I date each container when I buy it.  I don't keep a stash or multiples - when a product is empty, I buy a new one.  I never think to check expiration dates when I buy a product - maybe I should?

Pencil eyeliners are a different story.  I recently tossed several that I know I'd had since the early 2000's.  I need to buy replacements.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Anothernewnickname wrote:

Me too, but some of my eyeshadow is over 20 years old.  It's leftover from when I used to buy the Smashbox and Bare Minerals kits in the 90's and early 00's. 

@Anothernewnickname   Strange as it sounds, BM claims their loose eye shadows do last and are still good forever. I never used up one of them.

Honored Contributor

Re: How old is that makeup?

[ Edited ]

I think of my makeup the same as my clothing. If I have not reached for it in a year, out it goes. That mostly refers to lipsticks, glosses & liners. I don't stray from my usual foundations, shadows.

If I purchase backups of any makeup, SPF or skincare, it gets a #2 or #3 from my label maker so I know which one to use next. 

The biggest PIA is checking the dates at the time of purchase. Stores always put the new stock to the back.  DH taught me many years ago (when he did auditing during his 2 yr. public accounting stint to get his CPA ), the term FIFO...FIRST IN FIRST OUT. That goes for beauty inventory, as well. 

Honored Contributor

I wear makeup so infrequently that when I do need to wear it, I have to throw it all out and start over.