Respected Contributor

How do you combat dryness during the winter?

Every winter I go through the same thing. Between the dry heat in my house and the cold dry air outside, my skin, especially my forehead, suffers. I exfoliate, slather on extra mousturizer, layer Argan oil on top, to no avail. My forehead remains super dry and flaky. What's a girl to do?
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you combat dryness during the winter?

Have you tried Skinn Rose Noir Balm?  It's really nice stuff. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When your skin is damp out of the shower or bath apply  a good balm or lotion all over your skin to seal in the moisture.  I do the same with my face... apply a mineral water or the like and then I apply a nice balm filled with oils. I like the SKINN brand balm. Be sure you are getting lots of good healthy fats in your diet daily... raw nuts, avocado is wonderful, seeds, salmon and such. I try to eat one avocado a day, and also use flax seeds, I eat salmon probably 5 days a week. 

Respected Contributor

I'll check out the Skinn balm.
Honored Contributor

I have the world's driest skin all over. I always have. I use Avon Skin so soft in my bath every day then use a body lotion everywhere I can reach as soon as I get out of the tub. It is a constant battle for me - much worse since menopause.

Respected Contributor

My body is ok as long as I put cream on. It's my face, mainly my forehead that's the issue. @JLF is the Skinn balm similar to PTR's gel cream?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Rachb

Do you have a humidifier?

For me they make the biggest difference in the world.  I use some solar for heat + forced air and they really dry my skin.  Putting a hydrating air scrubber in the family room and bedroom helped lots!

You might start out with just a small one in the bedroom to see if it helps.

Good luck!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
@My body is ok as long as I put cream on. It's my face, mainly my forehead that's the issue. @JLF is the Skinn balm similar to PTR's gel cream?

Sorry, I can't say.  I have never tried PTR's gel cream.  One strong point about the Skinn Rose Noir Balm is that there's no water in it. You're getting all treatment in it.  I don't use it daily, but when I need it, it works well and works quickly.  We're still waiting for a real winter to get here, but I'm armed and ready with my Rose Noir Balm and will press it all over my face before going out to plow and shovel snow.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Rachb

Do you have a humidifier?

For me they make the biggest difference in the world.  I use some solar for hear + forced air and they really dry my skin.  Putting a hydrating air scrubber in the family room and bedroom helped lots!

You might start out with just a small one in the bedroom to see if it helps.

Good luck!

Yes to a humidifier. I have them in the living room, my bedroom, and a small one on my desk at work.

@Rachb, one thing you didn't mention is what you wash you face with and how you do it. It's easy to forget this as part of the moisture retention step, but if you strip your face of moisture when you wash, that makes it much harder for your moisturizers to replace it. If you haven't yet, switch to an oil or balm cleanser for your face. Honestly, that made more difference for my skin that any moisturizer I used. Low end oils cleansers work as well as high end for me, so I save the money and buy Neutrogena or Garnier from the drugstore. Albolene and Boots Organics Hot Cloth Cleanser are great cleansing balms on the cheap. And you may want to lower the water temperature if you are taking very hot showers. Very hot water can also contribute to dry skin.

I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA daily and her Weekly Resurfacing Treatment every Sunday. I like Josie Maran's Argan Milk serum under a heavier night moisturizer for the winter. I also add a few drops of argan oil to all my body lotions and my facial moisturizer before I apply.

Esteemed Contributor

My skin is usually very dry but it's not so bad right now.  I make sure to use a moisturizer twice a day.  If I miss a day I think it really sets me back.  I also like masks that hydrate.  L'occitane has one as well as Ole Henricksen.  Those are both good.